You are here
Graduate Programs in Photography
“Our programs seek individuals who approach the medium of photography from diverse angles yet wish to participate in a community of artists. We want to foster each students’ best abilities, visual, verbal, critical.” - Laura McPhee
MassArt's 60 credit, full-time MFA: Media Arts (Photography) program guides students through extensive study of the history and current practice of photography, critical theory, and the contemporary multi-disciplinary environment.
Visiting artists are an integral part of both programs. In addition to Major Studio, visits from prominent photographers, critics, curators, and scholars provide an opportunity for feedback on student work, and the department has an outstanding lecture series.
Unique to MassArt
Extensive facilities include private darkrooms for MFA students, a non-silver darkroom, individual studio spaces, a large graduate digital studio equipped with large format printers, Flextight scanners, and Mac towers with the latest Adobe software. Students are afforded opportunities to exhibit work both on and off campus.
- Experiment with formal and conceptual invention as you develop a coherent body of work of depth and integrity on a personally chosen topic which may or may not extend over the two year program
- Refine technical expertise in photography and acquire new skills in other media
- Bridge the visual language of photography with the written word and public speaking
- Understand one’s work in relation to contemporary art and art history by incorporating scholarly research, critical theory and analysis, and an awareness of historical and contemporary practices.
- Develop the ability to critique peers’ work across disciplines to speak thoughtfully about the work of others
- Develop awareness and understanding of the diverse cultural, historical, and experiential issues expressed and inherent in one’s own artwork and in that of one’s peers
- Exhibit one’s work in a professional manner in the thesis exhibition. Students may also participate in other exhibitions and curatorial opportunities at the college.
- Understand a range of professional pathways for careers in the arts.
- Collaborate with artists in other disciplines
Post-BACCALAUREATE CERTIFICATE IN PHOTOGRAPHY
MassArt’s intensive Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Photography is a full-time, one-year course of study for aspiring photographers seeking an advanced level of discourse, both technical and theoretical, about the medium as contemporary practice. The program provides an individualized curriculum for students who wish to develop their portfolios and their skills to prepare for future graduate school or as an end in itself. It is an opportunity for students of diverse ages and academic backgrounds to explore the medium in a concentrated manner.
In the first semester, students participate in a weekly seminar in which they collaborate with their instructor to critique one another’s work and consider methods of visual story-telling. A required technical course allows students to update and perfect their knowledge of digital image-making. Post-Baccalaureate students also choose from a stimulating selection of electives, including technical courses, art history electives, and topic-based studios. In the Spring semester, students focus on portfolio development and a written artist’s statement.