You are here
Residence Hall Year End Closing
The Department of Housing and Residence Life requires that resident students move-out of the residence halls within 24 hours after their last academic commitment is completed at the end of the Spring semester. Residents with concerns about their move-out date should be in touch with their Residence Hall Director as soon as possible. Please be aware that any residents found in violation of any Residence Hall or College policy once classes end will be removed from the residence halls immediately.
Please note that given the volume of students moving out in May, there is a limited number of bins available at the front desks of Artists' Residence, Tree House, and Smith on a first come, first served basis. We ask that bins not be checked out for more than an hour at a time to allow others to use them. In order to borrow a bin, you must bring a MassArt or government-issued ID. Therefore, in order to help alleviate the stress of moving out, we strongly recommend bringing a hand truck, dolly, or other assistive devices to streamline the move out process.
Moving Out of the Residence Halls
Below are the specific closing dates and times for different class years living within the residence halls:
Studio Foundation Students living in Smith Hall, Tree House, or Artists' Residence must move out 24 hours after their last academic commitment or by 7:00pm on Wednesday, May 11, 2022, whichever comes first.
Upper-Classmen (sophomores and above) living in Tree House or Artists' Residence must move out 24 hours after their last academic commitment or by 7:00pm on Thursday, May 19, 2022, whichever comes first.
Your RA will be hosting a mandatory floor meeting to review all of the closing information with you. Stay tuned for when that meeting will be held and follow up with your RA if you have additional questions.
Before you leave:
- empty dressers, wardrobes, desks, remove all belongings from your room and move furniture back to original condition.
- remove posters, tape, decals, command strips, etc from walls, windows, and mirrors.
- clean your room/suite thoroughly. Be sure to clean out the refrigerator, stove, and other appliances.
- remove trash and bring to trash rooms. Be sure to dispose of larger items in the dumpsters outside.
- turn off all lights, shut/lock windows, and shut/lock doors.
- return your key to the front desk of your building using our express check out process. Failure to check out properly will result in a $150 improper checkout fine and additional key/lock charges.
- complete and turn in the damage responsibility form with all suite mates prior to the first person moving out if you have damage in suite.
All apartments wishing to complete an Apartment Damage Form must do so prior to the first roommate leaving. All roommates must be in agreement and must sign off on the form.
Please review the full closing memo sent to your email.