You are here
Teacher Preparation Program
The Teacher Preparation Program is intended for students who have strong undergraduate backgrounds in studio art and who seek initial licensure as art teachers.
Coursework for this post-baccalaureate program focuses on pedagogical theory as well as on pre-practicum and practicum (fieldwork) experience. Students have the opportunity to teach in MassArt's Saturday Studios program, designing Saturday morning art classes for students in grades 3 through 12.
- Gain understanding of the relationship between studio practice and teaching
- Apply pedagogical theory in curriculum development
- Gain experience in classroom leadership
- Complete required practicum towards initial licensure
- Develop awareness and understanding of the diverse cultural, historical, and experiential issues expressed and inherent in one’s own artwork, in one’s teaching
- Understand teaching for diverse populations, and for diverse learning styles
Unique to MassArt
The Saturday Studios program gives student teachers a unique chance to gain classroom experience before they move on to complete the final piece of their post-baccalaureate program, the student teacher practicum.
While preparation for the Initial License mandates a student teaching practicum, the art education faculty believe that students profit from additional experience and requires significant time in the classroom for teacher preparation program candidates. The teacher preparation curriculum can be completed in two, three, or more semesters, depending on the needs of the individual student.
Gainful Employment Information
- Occupation: Teacher K-12 • O*NET SOC Code 25-3099.00 • SOC Code 25-1032
- Program Costs:
- Tuition and Fees: $13,728
- Room and Board: N/A
- Books and Supplies Approximately: $450
- No additional costs
- On-time Completion Rate: Program may be completed in two or three years.
- Median loan debt incurred by students:
- Title IV loan debt: $16,666
- Private educational loan debt: $0
- Institutional finance plans: $0