Skip to main content

Fall 2020

Read MassArt's plan: Return to Learning & Making

You are here

Billing FAQ

General Inquiries

Where can I find past bills/statements? 
You may request a copy of your current and/or past bill(s) to be mailed to your current address (as listed in our system) by contacting the Business Office at or by 617.879.7900, email from your MassArt email account.

When can I expect a new bill? When are payments due?
BFA Candidates, Graduate & Certificate programs only: Fall semester bills are available in July, and are due on the first week of August. Spring semester bills are available Mid-November, and are due Mid-December.

How can I find out the amount due on my account? 
To view bills, students may log in to their student self service account. Students may contact the Business Office with specific inquiries about their charges. 

How can I pay my student bill? 
Please see Student Billing.

Does MassArt charge for online payment?
MassArt offers electronic payment options as a convenience through self service. However, if you choose to make a payment using a credit card, you will be charged a non-refundable credit card fee on the total amount paid via Visa/MasterCard. There is NO fee for electronic check payments.

Is there any verification proving that my payment went through electronically?
Your payment will reflect on self-service immediately. To view bills, students may log in to their student self-service account

What happens if my payment is returned unpaid by my bank?
If a payment is returned by the bank, a $25 returned check fee will be added to the student account. Multiple returned payments may result in MassArt requiring future payments by money order or bank check.

Do I have to enroll for MassArt's health plan or can I waive it?
Please visit Health Services for more information.

I have an outside scholarship not listed on the bill. What do I do? 
Some students receive scholarships or grants from organizations outside of MassArt (examples: Rotary Club, Boston Globe, City scholarships, etc.). A copy of the scholarship letter should be returned to our Office of Student Assistance. They will enter the scholarship into our computer system and it will become part of your Pending Aid. If you receive the scholarship after bills are mailed please follow the following steps:

  • If the scholarship award letter states that the outside scholarship will be paid directly to MassArt, the student need not pay that portion of the bill that the scholarship will cover
  • A copy of the scholarship award letter must be submitted with the bill as well as payment for any remaining balance

About the 1098-T

What is a 1098-T?
Form 1098-T Tuition Payments Statement is the information return that colleges and universities are required to issue to students to help determine a student's eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning education tax credits.

What am I supposed to do with the 1098-T form?
Bring the form to your tax advisor and have the advisor help you determine if you may claim the Hope or the Lifetime Learning education tax credits. An eligible educational institution, such as a college or university, must furnish this information to you. You, or the person who can claim you as a dependent, may be able to claim an education credit on form 1040 or 1040A for the qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid during the calendar year. Institutions may report either payments received in box 1, or amounts billed in box 2. {Note: Massachusetts College of Art and Design reports in box 2} The amount in box 1 or 2 may represent an amount other than the amount actually paid during the calendar year.

Please note: it is up to the taxpayer to determine eligibility for the credits and how to calculate them.

When will the College send me the 1098-T form?
The College is required to mail the 1098-T forms to all students, excluding international students, by January 31st. The College is also required to electronically report this information to the IRS by February 28th. Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, as enacted by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, requires institutions to file information returns to assist taxpayers and the Internal Revenue Service in determining eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning education tax credits.

How can I get a copy of my 1098-T beyond the initial mailing, or can I get the form electronically?

1. Student may access their 1098-T form online through their DaVinci account. Please follow the following steps:

  • Log on to
  • Click "View my 1098-T form" under Financial Information
  • Select the tax year of interest from the drop-down menu box
  • After retrieving your 1098-T online, you may print as many duplicate copies as desired
    • Note that you are not required to submit any copy of the 1098-T with your tax return

2. Student may request a copy be mailed through his/her MassArt email account.
3. Student may make a signed request in writing to the business office of MassArt.
4. Student may make the request in person with proper ID.

Please note: Massachusetts College of Art and Design cannot release a 1098-T form to a non-MassArt email or phone call or fax as that would violate federal and college regulations that protect our student's privacy.

Why didn't I receive a 1098-T from MassArt?
There are several possibilities:

  • You are looking for your 1098-T at the wrong address - IRS regulations require mailing your 1098-T to your permanent address, not your local or campus one. Check at home to see if your family received the form

  • Your 1098-T was mailed to the wrong address - If you did not have a current address on file with MassArt, then your form may have gone astray. To find out where your tax information was sent, log in to DaVinci or call 617.879.7900. You may obtain copies of your 1098-T through the website at your convenience. Remember to update your addresses with the Registrar's or Graduate and Continuing Education Office

  • You were a visa student who did not have a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on file - IRS regulations specify that MassArt is not required to issue a 1098-T in this situation, unless the student requests the form

  • You participated in an international study or education abroad program - Depending on the type of program in which you participated, a 1098-T may have been issued to you by the institution you attended, not by MassArt

Instructions for Student:
Your institution must include its name, address and contact person. Although the contact person may be able to answer certain questions about the statement, do not contact them for explanations of the requirements for (and how to calculate) any education credit that you may claim. For more information, please refer to the additional resources link above.

  • Account number: May show an account or other unique number the filer assigned to distinguish your account
  • Box 1: Shows the total payments received for qualified tuition (mandatory tuition and fees, lab fees, late fees) less any related  reimbursements or refunds. {Note: MassArt reports in Box 2; Box 1 not in use}
  • Box 2: Shows the total amounts billed for qualified tuition (mandatory tuition and fees, lab fees, late fees)
  • Box 3: Shows whether your institution changed its method of reporting for the year. {MassArt did not change its method of reporting this year}
  • Box 4: Shows any adjustments made for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year form 1098-T. This amount may reduce any allowable education credit you may claim for the prior year. Refer to Form 8863 or Pub. 970 - for additional information
  • Box 5: Shows the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the eligible educational institution. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year, including those not reported by the institution, may reduce the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or the education credit you may claim for the year
  • Box 6: Shows adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year. This amount may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit you may claim for the prior year. Refer to Pub. 970 - for reporting instructions
  • Box 7: Shows whether the amount in box 1 or 2 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January-March 2011. See Pub. 970 - for reporting instructions
  • Box 8: Shows whether you are considered to be carrying at least one-half the normal full-time workload for your course of study at the reporting institution. If you are at least a half-time student for at least one academic period that begins during the year, you meet one of the requirements for the Hope credit. You do not have to meet the workload requirement to qualify for the lifetime learning credit
  • Box 9: Shows whether you are considered to be enrolled in a program leading to a graduate degree, graduate-level certificate, or other recognized graduate-level educational credential. If you are enrolled in a graduate program, you are not eligible for the Hope credit, but may qualify for the lifetime learning credit
  • Box 10: Shows the total amount of reimbursements or refunds of qualified tuition and related expenses made by an insurer. The amount of reimbursements or refunds for the calendar year may reduce the amount of any education credit you can claim for the year

What if I still have questions regarding the 1098-T?
If you have additional questions/concern, please contact the Business Office directly.

Please note: MassArt is prohibited from providing legal, tax or accounting advice to students. We encourage students to contact their tax advisors or the IRS with questions.

About the W-9S

What is Form W-9S?
Form W-9S, Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, is used by eligible educational institutions to request the taxpayer identification number of students for whom the institution must report 1098-T Tuition Statement information to the Internal Revenue Service. We cannot report your Tuition information to the IRS without your SSN/ITIN.

Who will receive a Form W-9S from MassArt?
All students who were enrolled in credit based courses during the tax year and who have a missing or invalid Social Security Number will receive a W-9S, Request for Student's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.

What will MassArt do with the returned Form W-9S?
When MassArt receives a W-9S form with a number that appears to be valid, whether it is a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), this number will be entered into the SSN field of the student's record. Having your SSN/ITIN on file allows us to report your potential tax credit information to the IRS and your in school status to the Federal loan clearing house.

ITIN - Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9xx-7x-xxxx or 9xx-8x-xxxx. The IRS issues ITIN's to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

If you receive a W-9S form with an ITIN, this number should be entered into the SSN field of the student's record.

W-9S & International Students

a. What advise does MassArt give to international students who do not have a SSN or ITIN?

If an international student does not have a Taxpayer Identification Number and if they are applying for a SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, they can write "applied for" in the space provided on the W-9S for the tax identification number. An international student who has applied for a SSN or ITIN and been denied, may write 'applied for and rejected" on the W-9S form. An international student, who has never applied for a SSN or ITIN, may write, "never applied for" on the W-9S form.

Many international students do not have Taxpayer Identification Numbers and are ineligible to obtain one. Additionally many (but not all) international students are ineligible to claim educational tax credits due to being nonresident aliens for tax purposes. Under such circumstances not supplying the Taxpayer Identification Number may be considered due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect.

W-9S forms that are returned without a SSN or ITIN and with "International student" or similar wording on the form, will be kept on file as record of taxpayer's response to our inquiry, the same as a W-9S with an SSN or ITIN or one that has "applied for" or "applied for & rejected" written in the TIN field.

b. Why do International students who have a valid ITIN in ISRS receive a W-9S Form?

International students who have valid Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) in the system (what screen) will receive a W-9S as a precaution in case the student has acquired a Social Security Number since the ITIN was originally entered.

W-9S Retention
The W-9S forms returned by students will be retained on file. W-9S forms that are returned without a SSN or ITIN and with "International students" or similar wording on the form will be kept on file as a record of the taxpayer's response to our inquiry, as will a W-9S that has "applied for" or "applied for & rejected" written in the TIN field.

What do I do with the completed form?
Bring Form W-9S to the Registrar's or Business Office, 8th floor Tower building.

What happens if I do not provide a SSN/ITIN?
Without a social security number MassArt cannot process Federal or State aid and loans for you, nor can we notify the federal loan clearing house that you are in school. If your lender does not know you are in school your loans could go into repayment. We will not be able to tell the IRS that you were in school and maybe eligible for a tax credit.

For more information visit IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education