Skip to main content

You are here



Massachusetts College of Art and Design thanks our veterans and current military service members for their service to our nation. MassArt recognizes the unique needs of Service members and returning Veterans.

Veterans and service persons, their spouses and dependents, or their survivors may be eligible for educational benefits. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), not MassArt, determines your eligibility for any education benefits.

Veteran Status

You are a veteran if:

  • You served on continuous active duty for 181 days or more after January 13, 1955
  • You served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001
  • You are still on active duty
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty
  • You were released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
  • You were a member of the National Guard or Reserves who was called to active duty for purposes other than training
  • You were released from the active duty for service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces

VA Benefits at MassArt

In order to use your VA Benefits at MassArt, please complete the following steps:

  1. Apply for admission
  2. Visit US Department of Veterans Affairs to find out what education benefits you qualify for
  3. Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to learn what benefits you may receive at MassArt
  4. Complete the Education Benefits Application Process
  5. If the VA approves your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) within 30 days (on average). The COE details the percentage of benefits you are entitled to, and the length of time you are eligible to receive benefits.
  6. Submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (and a copy of the student veteran's DD-214 form) to MassArt's School Certifying Official (SCO):

    Jonathan Rand, SCO
    Office of the Registrar
    Massachusetts College of Art and Design
    621 Huntington Avenue
    Boston, MA 02115 • F: 617.879.7263

Veteran's enrollment policy

Covered individuals may attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a "certificate of eligibility" can also include a "Statement of Benefits" obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website - eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution
  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility

MassArt will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Note: A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.

GI Bill® Frequently Asked Questions

Because you have been approved for a specific major, there is a curriculum of classes that you follow throughout your time at the college. When registering for classes keep in mind that the VA will not pay for any classes that do not count toward your major. Be aware that the VA periodically checks on all applicants to ensure that the courses being taken are relevant to the student’s declared major. Failure to comply with this policy could lead to the VA billing you for benefits received that do not count toward your major.

About 6 to 8 weeks.

MassArt is in the process of creating a Veterans Student Group. Through the Colleges of the Fenway (COF) there are student organizations and other resources available to veterans.

Yes, students are initially certified after enrollment at which time housing/living benefits are processed. Students are then re-verified after the "Add/Drop" registration period, at which time, their tuition benefits are processed.

Submission of military transcripts will be evaluated as transfer credit. Students can also submit transcripts from previous colleges or universities.

VA Educational Benefits Rates

Qualified veterans and their dependents of deceased or disabled veterans whose death or disability is a direct result of their military service may be eligible for VA educational benefits under one of the following programs while attending MassArt:

Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill®-Active Duty/Discharged (MGIB-AD)
Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 32: Veteran’s Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
Chapter 33: Post – 9/11 G.I. Bill® (see note below)
Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance
Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
Chapter 1607: Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Note: Individuals currently eligible for Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, or Chapter 1607 may make an irrevocable election from their existing program to the Chapter 33 Post – 9/11 G.I. Bill.® For more information contact the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation 

Disabled veterans desiring to further their education under the VA Vocational Rehabilitation program should contact Justice, Equity, and Transformation at

Tutorial Assistance

Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance. Services are available for all current students. These services include tutoring and workshops for academic success, as well as writing assistance. Please contact the Academic Resource Center located in Tower T811 or by calling 617.879.7280.

Counseling and Wellness Center

Free confidential and mental health services are available to all matriculated students. The Center is a place to go when you have a personal concern and want to talk privately with a counselor and want to explore possible options in an objective accepting way. For more information, please contact the Counseling and Wellness Center at or 617.879.7560.

Health Services

Free confidential care is available to all students. Student Health Services is located on the 2nd floor of The Tree House Residence Hall at 578 Huntington Avenue. For more information, please contact Health Services at 617.879.5220.



For Veteran Services assistance at MassArt, please contact the following staff for specific questions:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at