You are here
Travel In and Out of the US for F-1 Students
Within the US
The IEC strongly recommends all F-1 international students carry the following documents when traveling outside of the Boston area within the U.S.:
- Valid passport
- Printed copy of your current electronic I-94: navigate to "Get Most Recent I-94"
- Most recently issued original I-20 document
- Proof of current student enrollment (Enrollment Verification can be obtained from the Registrar's Office)
- F-1 students on post-completion OPT should carry the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card and an employment letter from the current or prospective employer.
Outside the US
Nonimmigrant Travel from Certain Countries Banned Temporarily due to COVID19
March 3rd, 2020
All nonimmigrant travelers (including F-1 international students) having been in mainland China and Iran for the 14 days preceding entry to the US have been suspended indefinitely and will not be allowed to enter the US. More countries may be added to the list without advance warning and are changing daily. Please carefully consider the risk of travel before deciding to travel outside the US. We urge you to continue to monitor the latest information on the Massart COVID19 information page and via emails received and to pay special attention to all guidance regarding travel.
Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus suspends entry into the U.S. of all aliens (immigrants, nonimmigrants, and other non U.S. citizens) who were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Autonomous Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States.
Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants of Persons who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus has also suspended entry into the U.S. of all aliens (immigrants, nonimmigrants and other non U.S. citizens) who were physically present in Iran, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States.
Please be advised that this situation is very fluid and travel bans due to the coronavirus may change at any time. If you choose to travel, please refer to details below regarding documents required for re-entry to the US.
Remember, each time you leave the US, Customs and Border Patrol will determine your eligibility to re-enter when you return. Be prepared and have the following documents with you each time you re-enter:
- Passport with valid F-1 Visa
- Most recently issued original I-20 document showing a valid travel signature
- All previously issued I-20 documents (in case they ask to see them)
- SEVIS fee receipt (showing your paid SEVIS fee
- Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements, copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter, or a copy of your Declaration of Finance form
- Proof of current student enrollment (Enrollment Verification can be obtained from the Registrar's Office
- F-1 students on post-completion OPT should carry the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card and an employment letter from their current or prospective employer.