Skip to main content

You are here

Tax Resources

At MassArt and at the Colleges of the Fenway GEO Center, we are unable to advise you on the tax filing process due to the complexity of tax law in the United States. We are not qualified tax accountants and cannot provide advice or expertise.

However, we can advise that as an F-1 International Student, you are required to file tax related documentation (either a tax return or something saying you are not required to file a tax return) for the tax year even if you did not earn any money in the United States. The deadline to file your tax documents is April 15th every year. The tax year is January 1st - December 31st.

Currently there are three options available to you to assist in completing your tax documentation:

  • Online Tax Advising Resources Available through the GEO Center
  • GEO Center Tax workshop (for those who have had trouble with on-line resources above)
  • File your tax-related document or tax-return independently of the GEO Center (this is common for students who are not international. It is also an option for international students) Options for filing independently include:
    • Working with a professional tax adviser of your choice - examples of resources past students have used: H&R Block, Liberty Tax Services, etc)
    • Bunker Hill Community College offers Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) which has been helpful to international students in the past
    • US Tax Guide for Aliens 

Documents Required to File Taxes

  • Passport
  • Visa/Immigration Information, including your I-20
  • Social security or Individual Taxpayer Identification number (if available)
  • Entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the US
  • Tax-related forms that report U.S. income (W-2, State refund forms)
  • Official scholarship letter or email
  • Other documents may be required

Please note, we do not monitor the tax filing process. We simply advise you that you need to file something as part of your F-1 status. However, we do not check if you have completed your taxes. It is your responsibility to file either a tax return or a form stating you do not need to file a tax return.