Skip to main content

You are here

Resources and Policies

As a division of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) provides a variety of resources for students in conjunction with the College. Students enrolled in a Continuing Education class may take advantage of academic, financial, and other resources and benefits as they apply. If you are taking a Certificate Program, please reference this page for more information.


MassArt assists all qualified students who are in need of accommodations related to a disability. If you feel you meet these requirements and need assistance, please notify the Continuing Education office.

MassArt uses Rave, an emergency management notification system. Enter your contact information and MassArt Public Safety will notify you if the campus is closed due to inclement weather or an emergency.

For anyone over the age of 18, student records are confidential. Read about this federal policy here.


PCE must occasionally cancel a course that does not meet minimum enrollment requirements (students using waivers do not count towards enrollment minimums) or for other unforeseen circumstances. PCE will notify students by email or phone.

PCE also reserves the right to make changes in course scheduling, faculty and course content, and will notify you of any major changes.

Classes are developed for adults and may have adult themes and content, so for students younger than 18, please look at our offerings in Youth Programs. For students under the age of 18, permission is required in writing to from the student’s guardian to take one of the adult classes.

For-credit courses can be taken for graduate credit with additional/different requirements as specified by the faculty. Courses numbered 500 or above may be taken for graduate credit only. Studio foundation courses may be taken for undergraduate credit only.

Students who choose to audit a class (take a for-credit class for no credit) are encouraged to participate in all course activities, including class lectures and critiques, but will not receive a grade or any formal evaluation of performance. A non-credit registered class may only be changed to a for-credit class before the second class meeting, and vice versa.

Semester grades are only available through MassArt Self-Service. You may log in with your NetID. If you are unable to log-in please contact Tech Central at 617.879.7888 or visit the Tech Central Office on the third floor of the Design and Media Center or email Note that the College has a dual grading system. Learn more about it here.

Students who wish to transfer credits to another institution or to the MassArt BFA program are advised to consult with their registrar or dean prior to enrollment. Students accepted to Massachusetts College of Art and Design are placed in studio courses based on the strength of their application portfolios. Courses taken through the Continuing Education program at MassArt are subject to transfer credit review and restrictions.

Official and unofficial transcripts are available for $10 each. Transcripts take two to five days to process. 

Request a Transcript


Prices for all credit classes offered through Massachusetts College of Art and Design Professional and Continuing Education are a combination of tuition and fee. Prices for non-credit classes are fee only. Waivers (see below) apply only to tuition.

The refund deadline for all classes is one week (7 days) before the first class meets.

Requests to cancel a registration or drop a course must be made in writing, by the registered student, to 7 days before the first class meets. No requests are accepted over the phone or in person, or by anyone other than the registered student. The request should include your first and last name, and the name of the course.

Refund requests that do not meet these conditions will not be approved. Rare exceptions can be granted, based on events such as a death in the family, or a medical emergency. In such cases a written request for refund, accompanied by appropriate documentation from a third party must be submitted.

Under no circumstances will refunds be granted for requests received after the end of a course. Nonattendance does not constitute an official withdrawal, nor a cancellation of tuition and fees.

If PCE cancels a course due to low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances, registered students will receive a full refund. Refunds may take up to 6 weeks to process.

Please note that Continuing Education, Certificate, and Graduate courses and programs are not state supported. If you believe you are eligible for a tuition waiver, please submit documentation of the applicable tuition waiver such as a completed and signed tuition waiver form to the PCE or Graduate Program office for review. Waivers are space available only.

Continuing Education currently does not offer loans or scholarships for individual adult courses.

If you are enrolled in a Certificate or Degree Program that offers financial aid, you may be eligible for aid when registered for six or more credits during the semester. Read more on the Certificate Financial Aid page.