Skip to main content

COVID-19 Update

Read the response and updates to COVID-19 at

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

  1. What are the Academic Resource Center's office hours?
    The Academic Resource Center (ARC) is open during the academic year from 9:00am to 8:00pm Monday - Thursday, and 9:00 - 5:00 on Friday with the exception of all state and federal holidays, and when the College is closed. During the summer, the ARC is open 9:00am -5:00pm Monday - Thursday and closes at noon on Fridays.
  2. How do I make an appointment?

    Appointments can be made in person on the 8th floor of Tower in suite 811, by phone at 617.879.7280 or email Appointments with Coaches, Specialists, and Advisors can also be made online.

  3. What if I need a break from my program?
    MassArt has many resources to support students academically, socially, and emotionally. In a case where a student feels that they need to take a break from their studies or reduce the number of classes they are taking, the first step is to meet with the Associate Dean for the Academic Resource Center and review the available options.

Advising Questions

  1. Who is my advisor?
    MassArt has a two-tiered advisor system. Your primary advisor is your faculty advisor, and you can find out who they are by checking your Program Evaluation in DaVinci, or by contacting your department faculty chair. The advisors in the ARC specialize in answering questions about choosing the right major, becoming a dual major, completing graduation requirements, taking summer classes, and other issues that impact a student’s persistence to graduation, but are also available to answer questions regarding major requirements.
  2. How can I transfer credits?
    All questions regarding transfer credits should be directed to the Office of the Registrar in Tower 8 or at
  3. How many classes do I register for?
    In most cases, students register for 5 classes (15 credits.) A full time student is taking between 9 and 18 credits. It is strongly recommended that you speak with a faculty or academic advisor if you are taking fewer or more than 15 credits. Students need permission to take more than 18 credits.   
  4. Does IB Visual Arts have transferable credits?
    Yes, the IB Visual Arts courses can yield Studio Elective credits, however, we require IB scores of 6 or 7 at the higher level. For all other courses, IB scores at the High Level with scores of 6 or 7 will be considered for transfer credit. For further information on IB transcripts, please contact the Office of the Registrar at
  5. How do I access my grades?
    You can view your grades and academic record through your DaVinci Account.
  6. Are matriculating undergraduate students able to take courses through Continuing Education?
    Full-time students are able to take courses in the fall and spring semesters through Continuing Education. There is a small added fee for such registration. Please contact the Office of Professional & Continuing Education with questions. Courses taken during winter and summer terms are not covered by regular full-time tuition.
  7. What are institutional credits vs. transfer credits?
    Institutional credits are those earned at MassArt, either in Continuing Education, the undergraduate (UG) program, cross-registration, or exchange programs. All other credits - transfer, AP, portfolio, and CLEP - are non-institutional/transfer credits. All BFA students must earn a minimum of 60 institutional credits (usually 4 full semesters) to graduate.
  8. Does my Advanced Placement (AP) credit count at MassArt?
    The only AP course equivalent to a specific, required MassArt courses is AP Art History. With a score of 4 or 5 this course is equivalent to HART-100 Survey of Western Art. Other AP courses, in which a student earned a score of 4 or 5, transfer in to MassArt as studio electives, liberal arts electives, or HART electives. AP courses can not replace any required liberal arts courses.  
  9. What are CLEP credits? 
    The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is series of exams given by the College Board which allows MassArt students to earn credit for knowledge and skills gained outside of college credit-granting courses. CLEP credits are limited to 6 total and may not apply to any required courses. Please contact the office of the Registrar at for more information.

Disability Related Questions

  1. What is the deadline for accommodation letters?
    Students can meet with the Associate Dean to discuss accommodation letters at any time in the semester, but are strongly encouraged to meet during the first two weeks of the semester.
  2. Whom do I see for my accommodations?
    Any student requesting accommodations must meet with the Associate Dean in ARC, who will work with the student to determine the most appropriate accommodations. This is a collaborative process involving discussion and the review of the student's documentation. Once accommodations are agreed upon, an email is sent to the student's faculty.
  3. How do I know if I qualify for accommodations?
    A student with a documented disability should meet with the Associate Dean in the ARC, who will review the documentation and inform the necessary parties, such as Housing, Dining Services, or Public Safety.