You are here
MassArt's photography facilities, often referred to as the "Cage," occupy the 6th floor of the Kennedy building. Both the Cage and Digital Lab open approximately 1 week after classes begin and close the last day of undergraduate reviews. Schedule adjusts for holidays and class breaks, please check the Academic Calendar for exact dates.
All labs will be closed for Photography Department Visiting Artist Lectures. Please check the MassArt Events Calendar for upcoming dates of our Photography Lecture Series.
Resources in the Photo Cage are open to current Photo students only (Photo majors and in-session non-major photo class students).
Monday - Thursday: 10am - 10pm (Cage closes at 9:30pm)
DIGITAL LAB HOURS
Resources in the Photo Digital Lab are for current Junior/Senior Photography majors or students enrolled in a Digital Photography for Non-Majors course only.
Monday-Thursday: 2pm - 10pm
The darkrooms and digital labs are staffed by student monitors, all of whom are Photography Department majors in the BFA program, and is managed by 2 full-time studio managers. Labs and Darkrooms are open to all enrolled in a MassArt Photography class, space is permitted to class priority. You may work in the area (B&W, Darkroom, or Digital) where your class is held. If you have previously taken courses in the Photo Department and are enrolled in classes at MassArt and wish to use the labs, please contact the studio managers about paying a lab fee.
If you are a current Photo Major in MassArt's undergraduate, graduate, or Post-Bac programs you may reserve equipment online using our web checkout interface. If you are a current Junior or Senior level Photo major or are enrolled in a Photo Digital for Non-Majors class currently in session, you may use the Photo Digital Labs located on the 6th floor of Kennedy.
- Analog black and white developing and printing areas
- Digital imaging and printing
- Alternative (non-silver) processes area with UV exposure unit and coating station
- Negatives up to 8" x 10" can be accommodated in all areas
- 2 black and white gang darkrooms (1 beginner and 1 advanced)
- 2 film-processing areas
- 1 sheet film processing room
- 3 private darkrooms
- 30 imaging workstations
- Epson V750 and V850 flatbed scanners
- 3 Hasselblad Flextight X1 film scanners
- Epson 7900, P7000, 4900, and P5000 inkjet printing stations in our print rooms
- Color correct viewing booth and lighting
- Magnetic pin up boards
Please note that you have to be on campus or on the MassArt VPN in order to log in to the web checkout interface.