You are here
Fashion Design Certificate
MassArt’s Fashion program has long been celebrated for encouraging creative exploration while building on time-tested principles of design and craft. The Fashion Certificate at MassArt offers an opportunity for students to learn the fundamentals of fashion design in one of the oldest and most respected fashion programs in the country.
Design Certificate students take a series of foundation courses that include pattern drafting, fashion illustration, tailoring and couture design. Master classes focus on fashion specialties--costume design, handbag design, trend forecasting, state of the art digital tools (U4ia) and manufacturing (Gerber)—and are taught by experts in those fields. Students explore cultural and aesthetic trends while learning from professionals in different aspects of fashion to master technical skills and identify their personal style through a series of directed individual projects.
Ultimately, students complete the program with a professional portfolio consisting of a body of work that is technically proficient and fashion forward.
Students who complete the Fashion Design Certificate Program are expected to be able to demonstrate the following learning outcomes, which are necessary and part of successful entry into professional design practice.
- Concept and Message
- Produce innovative and original designs
- Understand design elements: color, line, texture, silhouette
- Use research to inform design development
- Appreciation for historical reference
- Personal development
- Understanding of the creative process
- Build collaborative skills
- Build verbal and written communication skills
- Time management
- Critical Thinking
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends
- Evaluate work of self and others with a critical eye
- Understanding team and group partnering
- Technical competency
- Development and understanding of clothing construction and craft
- Development and understanding of flat pattern drafting and draping techniques
- Work effectively with industry standard software (Illustrator, Photoshop, Gerber)
- Industry Awareness
- Understanding apparel manufacturing and production procedures
- Market understanding through category and customer
- Connecting through internships and project collaborations
- Social consciousness
- Create professional and organized presentations that reflect individual style
- Effectively communicate two- and three-dimensional designs
- Produce accurate and detailed technical flat drawings by hand and computer
- Produce a body of work – apparel lines/collections and portfolio suitable for seeking professional opportunities
Curriculum | course sequence | faqs | requirements | tuition | financial aid | refunds and withdrawals
The Spring application period has ended. It ran from September 1st to November 1st. The next application cycle is for Fall and it begins on February 1st and ends April 1st.