You are here
Fashion Design Certificate
MassArt’s Fashion program has long been celebrated for encouraging creative exploration while building on time-tested principles of design and craft. The Fashion Certificate at MassArt offers an opportunity for students to learn the fundamentals of fashion design in one of the oldest and most respected fashion programs in the country.
Design Certificate students take a series of foundation courses that include pattern drafting, fashion illustration, tailoring and couture design. Looking toward the future, specialized courses offer students an opportunity to tailor their design focus in areas that are relevant to the current industry and beyond. These include- digital textile design, sustainable fashion, Clo 3D apparel design, costume design, handbag design and more. Classes are taught by experts in these respective areas. Students explore cultural and aesthetic trends while learning from professionals in different aspects of fashion to master technical skills and identify their design ethos throughout a series of individually directed projects.
Ultimately, students complete the program with a professional portfolio consisting of a body of work that is technically proficient and fashion forward.
Students who complete the Fashion Design Certificate Program are expected to be able to demonstrate the following learning outcomes, which are necessary and part of successful entry into professional design practice.
- CONCEPT AND MESSAGE
- Produce innovative and original and relevant designs
- Understand design elements: color, line, texture, silhouette
- Use research to inform design development
- Appreciation for historical and cultural reference
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Understanding of one's own creative process
- Build collaborative skills
- Build verbal and written communication skills
- Time management
- CRITICAL THINKING
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends
- Evaluate work of self and others with a critical eye
- Understanding team and group partnering
- TECHNICAL COMPETENCY
- Development and understanding of clothing construction and craft
- Development and understanding of flat pattern drafting and draping techniques
- Work effectively with industry standard software (Illustrator, Photoshop, Gerber)
- INDUSTRY AWARENESS
- Understanding apparel manufacturing and production procedures
- Market understanding through inclusive design
- Connecting through internships and project collaborations
- Understanding sustainable design methods
- Create professional and organized presentations that reflect individual style and messaging
- Effectively communicate two- and three-dimensional designs
- Produce accurate and detailed technical flat drawings by hand and computer
- Produce a body of work – apparel lines/collections and portfolio suitable for seeking professional opportunities
Curriculum | course sequence | faqs | APP Requirements | tuition | financial aid | refunds and withdrawals
The Fall application cycle begins on February 1 and ends on June 15.
The Spring application cycle begins on September 1 and ends on November 1.
Those wishing to begin the Fashion Design certificate in summer should apply by April 15.