You are here
Living at MassArt
Themed Living Opportunities
Themed living communities are offered at MassArt, but are dependent upon the engagement of the students in the community. The Office of Residence Life will support programs that relate to the themes and encourage students to be active participants.
Substance Free Housing
Substance Free housing is designed for students who choose healthy habits and do not use tobacco products, alcohol, or other drugs.
LGBTQQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, and Allies) housing provides a community of support for students who prefer to live with individuals who identify with the LGBTQQIA community.
Single Sex Housing
Single-Sex housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students are assigned to share a multiple-occupancy bedroom based on biological sex assigned at birth or the gender indicated on the housing application. Single-Sex housing is the default option for all students.
Co-Ed housing is defined as a housing option in-which two or more students may share a suite/apartment whose rooms are single-sex, but the apartment/suite is mixed-sex. Co-Ed housing is only offered to upperclass students. Exceptions can be made for incoming first time college students but must be requested through email to email@example.com by May 15th.
Gender Inclusive Housing Policy
Gender inclusive housing is defined as a housing option in-which two or more students may share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, in mutual agreement, without regard to a student's sex or gender. Gender inclusive housing supports the College's non-discrimination policy and fully commits to the principles of social justice with respect to sexual orientation, sex, gender, and gender identity.
Like most institutions of Higher Education, MassArt discourages students of any sexual orientation who are in a relationship from living together in a residence hall housing unit. It is your choice if you want to tell your parents or guardian about your decision to live in a gender-inclusive housing option. The Office of Housing and Residential Life encourages you to talk with your parents or guardian about your housing choice so that they can be in support of your decision.
Gender inclusive housing will never be forced upon a student. If a vacancy occurs in a room, the room may no longer be treated exclusively as a gender inclusive space. The remaining occupants may pull in a student to maintain the gender neutrality of the room or the Office of Housing and Residence Life will assign a student to the room based on biological sex assigned at birth.
New Student Application
- Students must self-select the gender inclusive housing option on the housing application form
- Students must answer the gender-inclusive housing questions that are provided by the Office of Housing and Residence Life
- A review of requests will be conducted through the Office of Housing and Residence Life. The Office will reach out to incoming students to discuss expectations and to address the statement
- Approved students will be assigned and notified in late June
Current Student Application
- Students agree to live together when they select a room together during Room Selection in the spring semester
- Students must self-select the gender inclusive housing option on the returning student housing application form
- Students must answer the gender-inclusive housing questions
- A review of requests will be conducted through the Office of Housing and Residence Life. The Office may reach out to students to discuss expectations and to address the statement