You are here
Justice, Equity, Transformation
The goals of the JET office are to guide and lead work that achieves systemic equity in all areas of the educational institution through transformation of campus culture.
transformative learning and teaching
Methodologies and curricula will be supported with new frameworks of understanding that engage faculty, staff, students, and community partners. Signature programs include:
- Anti-Racism Dialogues are meant to increase our capacity to have courageous conversations about race and racism. This approach is grounded in the belief that individual change is simultaneous to addressing institutional racism.
- Tyrone Maurice Adderley Lecture in response to the suicide of student Tyrone Maurice Aderley, a talented and popular painting student, MassArt made a commitment to increasing its recognition of multiple viewpoints and the presentation of artists outside the mainstream. In his memory, faculty organized a lecture series to bring artists from underrepresented groups to give an honorary lecture to share their work and wisdom.
- Thriving Classrooms is a series of workshops aimed at building community and collaboration between departments. Resources will be provided to navigate issues impacting students in the classroom, studios, and beyond where everyone can thrive.
Artward Bound and Compass light a pathway to art and design education by supporting first generation college students with resources, opportunities and support from high school (Artward Bound) to college (Compass). Artward Bound and Compass develop rigorous creative and critical thinking skills in young artists and designers to thrive as their most authentic selves.
- Artward Bound is a free four-year college access program that prepares 9-12th grade Boston-area students interested in art and design with the artistic, academic, and life skills needed to thrive in college and beyond.
- Compass Program is a mentoring program that supports undergraduate students with advising, tutoring, and navigating issues of transition in academic, creative, social, cultural and personal areas.
Retention and Mentoring
JET facilitates programmatic connections that support curricular and co-curricular retention and mentoring initiatives for students, staff, and faculty. JET support extends but is not limited to those who identify as ALAANA, BIPOC, DACA, LGBTQ, and international community members.
JET Student Leaders are integral to the achievements of the JET office, its programs and initiatives. They provide outreach and support to their peers and provide critical feedback to aid the college in achieving its goals for equity and inclusion.
RESOURCES & OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE MASSART COMMUNITY
The JET Pack (accessible with MassArt NetID and password) is a resource-based initiative to nurture, heal, and inspire. It acknowledges that sometimes, to move forward together we might have to take time apart. It offers programs and resources to personally engage in these types of spaces. We hope that these will set a framework for robust learning opportunities for our community.
The JET Pack is a living collection that is constantly being updated with information. If you have a resource or opportunity that you would like to share with us, then please let us know!
Email email@example.com with the subject: JET Pack Resource/Opportunity.
Racism, response, and renewal
Fighting racism cannot be done by one person, one initiative, one policy, or one program. Our hope is that every one of us at MassArt can respond to this important challenge for ourselves, and to realize our strength as a community in this work.
Tower Building, 11th Floor • firstname.lastname@example.org • 617.879.7220