You are here
$2000 Internship Incentive Awards
Program year 2020-21
deadline: Friday May 21st, 2021 by 5pm
MassArt’s $2000 Internship Incentive Awards is a need-based award offered to help selected students off-set the cost of completing an approved credit-bearing internship. For the 2020/21 Academic Year, the award program is open to ALL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS (out-of-state, international and Massachusetts resident undergraduate students) To be considered for the 2020/21 Internship Incentive Awards:
- You must register a credit-bearing internship for 3 elective credits during the 2020/21 Academic Year. This includes the following semesters:
- Have registered a Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 for credit; or
- Register a Summer 2021 internship for credit by May 21, 2021
- Internships are registered & approved through the Handshake platform. To start the process, login using your MassArt Net ID. From the Home Page: Career Center>Experiences>Request an Experience
- You may register either an unpaid or paid internship and be considered for the stipend.
- Complete a current FAFSA form with the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- FAFSA requirement does not apply to international students. International students will be asked to complete a separate form to be considered for the award. A link to the form will be forwarded after your internship is approved and registered for academic credit.
There is no application for the award. Students who meet the criteria and provide the necessary documentation by the deadline of Friday May 21, 2021 will automatically be considered for the award. Stipend recipients are selected based on financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Assistance. See the Career Development website for information about the internship program and how to register for internship credit.
MA and out-of-state student interns must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov and meet general federal eligibility requirements for financial aid. Fall 2020 and Spring 2021, interns must file the 2020/21 FAFSA; Summer 2021 interns must file the 2021/22 FAFSA. Please see the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions about the FAFSA.
International students: The FAFSA requirement does not apply to international students; international students will need to fill out a separate form to be considered for the award which will be sent after your internship is registered and approved.
ACADEMIC STANDING & ELIGIBILITY
Student interns must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate program of study, have not earned a prior Bachelor’s degree, and be in good academic standing.
Undergraduate students who receive funding through this program will be selected based on financial need.
Priority shall be given to internship sites located within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. However, student internships in an out- of-state location will also be considered for this program. Internships that take place outside the USA are not eligible.
Priority is given to students who have not previously received this award. Selected students are only eligible to receive one award per program year in an amount determined by the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
The award is not payment for an internship; the award is designed to off-set the costs of participation in an approved credit-bearing internship.
Funding through this program only applies to the 135 hours needed to complete the internship for academic credit.
There is no guarantee of receiving the stipend; do not plan your internship to be contingent on receipt of the award. The selection process is not timed to coordinate with the start of your internship; recipients may be notified partway through their Summer 2021 internship experience or after completion of their internship in the case Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters.
AWARD NOTIFICATION TIMEFRAME AND DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS
Students selected to receive the award will be notified by MassArt email by early/mid June 2021 and must complete the process for payment by the end of June 2021 to receive pament.
Applicable taxes will apply to the award amount.