You are here
How to Apply
The application and all requirements below must be submitted online, except for official transcripts, translation and evaluation of transcripts, and English proficiency test scores. In addition, candidates should review each graduate program's specifications and requirements.
- January 6, 2020 - Priority Deadline - Summer & Fall 2020
Applications received after the Priority Deadline will be reviewed on a rolling admissions basis at the discretion of the Graduate Admissions Committee and the Department Program Coordinators, unless final deadlines have been posted. Applications after the Priority Deadline may be considered for Dean's Scholarships depending upon the availability of funds. Please contact the admissions office if you have any questions or concerns.
Please review additional requirements and specifications by program.
- Online Application Form
- $90 Application fee
- Statement of Purpose: A one-to-two page statement of purpose should address your reasons for applying to MassArt, your choice of a specific discipline, and the direction of future work. You also may want to comment on recent developments that support your decision to apply
- Résumé: Your resume should list professional accomplishments, including exhibitions, awards, or other activities that convey a sense of your commitment to a career in the arts
- Post-Secondary/College Transcripts: Please provide unofficial transcripts of all previous academic coursework completed for the preliminary review of your application. If your academic credentials are prepared in a language other than English, they must be translated into English for review. Students who are admitted and choose to enroll at MassArt will later be required to submit official transcripts with certified translations if transcripts are in a language other than English. Please note that MassArt does not consider applicants for graduate or post-baccalaureate programs who do not have the equivalent of a four-year United States undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree.
Important: There is no transcript fee if you are a MassArt Alum who is applying to a MassArt program. If you are a MassArt alum looking to request a transcript for a MassArt Graduate application please email email@example.com.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: You will need to provide email addresses for recommendations from two (2) individuals who are familiar with the work in your portfolio and can comment on your qualifications for advanced study. At least one referee should be from a teacher with whom you have studied
- Portfolio: All portfolios must be submitted digitally.
- Applicants are expected to demonstrate an in-depth commitment to the visual arts
- For 2D, 3D Fine Arts, and Photography applicants, 20 to 25 reproductions of recent work should be submitted that relate to the concentration to which you are applying. Faculty who review the portfolios look for a personal direction and potential for further growth
- Note for time-based media: Portfolio must be comprised of 3-5 film/video pieces as well as any images of installations, site-specific projections, and/or stills as appropriate
- Interview: Interviews are an important component of the MassArt Graduate Admissions process. After an initial review of applications, selected candidates will be invited to campus for an in person interview with Faculty. This opportunity allows applicants to discuss the program directly with faculty and view the facilities, while allowing faculty the chance to better know each applicant. When necessary, live video interviews may be accommodated, however we strongly encourage in-person attendance. Additionally, programs may request candidates bring samples of original artwork.