You are here
History of Art BFA
The program begins with an introductory survey of art in the first term, after which students learn about our global and multidisciplinary world through studies in ancient and medieval art, Renaissance, Baroque, and eighteenth-century art, modern and contemporary art and design, and the arts of the Americas, Asia, and Africa.
Students also participate in at least two senior seminars involving rigorous, original research into topics in the history of theory of art.
Nearby museums and galleries allow first-hand study of a variety of works, as well as internship experiences in conservation and in gallery and museum operations.
Students also have access to international travel courses, which provide opportunities for studying monumental works and museum collections abroad.
Graduates of the History of Art Program at MassArt go on to pursue graduate degrees in art history, visual culture, and museum studies as well as obtain employment at museums, galleries, auction houses and publishing.
- Develop a knowledge base of a broad range of time periods and cultures to draw upon in professional practice
- Recognize widely studied works of art from specific times/places
- Identify common characteristics of works of art from specific times/places
- Identify major historical and cultural characteristics of specific times/places
- Describe materials and processes used to create works of art
- Develop a knowledge base of a broad range of time periods and cultures
- Locate a variety of research resources
- Describe and differentiate works of art using appropriate vocabulary
- Draw connections between different works of art and artists
- Infer relationships between society and art
- Situate works of art in historical context, including quotation of earlier art
- Organize information for oral and written presentation
- Recognize different types of texts used in art historical analysis
- Formulate, research, and argue a hypothesis
- Evaluate an art historical argument
- Articulate theoretical and critical perspectives on art
- Evaluate the content and effectiveness of textual and electronic sources
- Bring to bear various ideas, approaches, and facts on the analysis of art
- Recognize the impact of historical works of art on contemporary art