You are here
MassArt's photography facilities, often referred to as the "cage," occupy the 6th floor of the Kennedy building.
Both the Cage and Digital Lab open approximately 1 week after classes begin and close the last day of undergraduate reviews. Schedule adjusts for holidays and class breaks, please check the Academic Calendar for exact dates.
cage Hours & photo digital lab hours
Please note that due to campus de-densification to slow the spread of COVID-19, access to the Photo Cage and Digital Lab are by appointment only.
Please see MassArt Events Calendar for virtual visiting artists and lecture information.
- Analog black and white developing and printing areas
- Digital imaging and printing
- Alternative (non-silver) processes area with UV exposure unit and coating station
- Negatives up to 8" x 10" can be accommodated in all areas
- 2 black and white gang darkrooms (1 beginner and 1 advanced)
- 2 film-processing areas
- 1 sheet film processing room
- 3 private darkrooms
- 30 imaging workstations
- Epson V750 and V850 flatbed scanners
- 3 Hasselblad Flextight X1 film scanners
- Epson 7900, P7000, 4900, and P5000 inkjet printing stations in our print rooms
- Color correct viewing booth and lighting
- Magnetic pin up boards
The darkrooms and digital lab are staffed by student monitors, all of whom are photography department majors in the day-school BFA program, and is managed by 2 full-time studio managers.
The labs are open to all enrolled in a MassArt photography class, space is permitted to class priority. You may work in the area (B&W Darkroom or Digital) where your class is held. If you have previously taken courses in the Photo Department and are enrolled in classes at MassArt and wish to use the labs, please contact the studio managers about paying a lab fee.
If you are a current Photo Major in MassArt's undergraduate, graduate, or Post-Bac programs you may reserve equipment on line using our web checkout interface.
If you are a current junior or senior level Photo major or are enrolled in a Photo Digital for Non-Majors class currently in session, you may use the Photo Digital Labs located on the 6th floor of Kennedy.
email@example.com • 617.879.7488
firstname.lastname@example.org • 617.879.7489