You are here
Christopher Chippendale is an observational painter based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He has been a member of the Painting faculty at MassArt since 1992. Chippendale is represented by Soprafina Gallery, Boston. He was born and raised in southern California.
Chippendale's paintings are based in observation and reflect his ongoing interest in the nature and problems of perception and its representation. He holds an implicit trust in what his eyes actually see, but accepts as a condition of painting that appearances are fundamentally unstable and relational, that reality is subject to distortion both from without as well as from within. This paradox interests the painter because it mirrors the complexity of what is seen and experienced before the untidy world of appearances.
- 2020 - Living on Earth. Christopher Chippendale, New Work. Soprafina Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2018 - What Is, Is Now. Christopher Chippendale, New Work. Soprafina Gallery
- 2015 - New Work, Christopher Chipppendale. Soprafina Gallery
- 2014 - Boston International Fine Arts Show, Cyclorama, Boston Center for the Arts
- 2014 - Pausing en Route: Aspects of Moment and Duration, Christopher Chippendale. Soprafina Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2014 - Sight Specific: A Selection of American Perceptual Paintings, Concord Art Association, Concord, MA
- 2013 - AD20/21: Art and Design of the 20th and 21st Centuries, Cyclorama, Boston Center for the Arts
- 2012 - Christopher Chippendale, Selected Works 1987--2012, Gann Academy, Waltham, MA
- 2012 - Galvanized Truth: A Tribute to George Nick, Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, MA
- 2011 - Fluidity in Focus, Soprafina Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2015 - "Interview with Christopher Chippendale," at PaintingPerceptions.com
- 2012 - "Fluidity in Focus," Huffington Post, "Top Ten Posts, January 2012,"
- 2012 - "Judging by Appearances: In Praise of George Nick's Teaching," Blurb Books
- 2012 - 100 Boston Painters, Chawky Frenn, Schiffler Publishing, Atglen, PA, 232pp
- 1998 - "En Route with George Nick," originally published in ART New England, Feb/March issue, pp. 28--30
- 2014 - Juror, Copley Society of Art, Boston. Members' Show: "Shimmer"
- 2012 - Guest Lecturer, MCAD, “Fluidity in Focus: Paradoxes in Perceptual Painting”
- 2011 - Cambridge Arts Council Grant, Cambridge, MA
- 2007 - Juror, 52nd Annual Festival of the Arts, South Shore Art Center, Cohasset, MA
- 2001 - St. Botolph Club Foundation Grant, Boston, MA
- 2001 - Juror, Members Annual Juried Exhibition, Concord Art Association, Concord, MA
- 1997 - Blanche E. Colman Award, Boston, MA
- Kenyon C. and Mary Rose Bolton
- Nicholas P. and Marjorie Greville
- Mary and Gary M. Pforzheimer
- Jeremy H. and Heather Pozen
- Judith M. Rockefeller
- Genevieve St. George
- Paul D. Sullivan
- Frances and Charles A. Webb