You are here
Call for Applications: Alumni Trustee
The MassArt Alumni Leadership Council (ALC), the advisory board of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design Alumni Association, is currently seeking applications for the Elected Alumni Trustee to serve on the Board of Trustees of Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt). The Board consists of 11 members. One member is a full-time undergraduate student and 10 members are appointed by the Governor of Massachusetts. Three MassArt alumni currently serve on the Board, including Daren Bascome ‘93 (Graphic Design), Elisa Hamilton ‘07 (Painting), and Pamela Parisi ‘67 (Graphic Design). Pamela Parisi is the current Elected Alumni Trustee. She will be cycling off the board later this spring at the conclusion of her second consecutive five-year term of dedicated service as a trustee of the college.
According to General Laws, Chapter 15A Section 21, the person to fill the alumni trustee position shall be elected thereto by the alumni advisory board and will serve a five-year term. Upon appointment by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and taking an oath of office, the elected alumni trustee representative will be a full voting member of the Board of Trustees of MassArt.
Ideal alumni trustee candidates are passionate about MassArt, and supporting excellence in art and design education, particularly in a public higher education setting. They are also eager to support MassArt in its mission to prepare artists, designers, and educators from diverse backgrounds to shape communities, economies, and cultures for the common good. In 2018, MassArt outlined an exciting strategic plan. This commitment clearly articulates what we aim to achieve and why it matters for the growth, health, and wellbeing of our academic community as we approach our 150th anniversary in 2023. As a trustee, you will be a steward for this vision and be a connecting thread between our alumni at large, the Alumni Leadership Council, and the college.
We are enthusiastically seeking a diverse and inclusive pool of candidates as we work to elect the alumni trustee. Previous board experience is desirable, but not necessary.
Trustees advise and provide support to MassArt on a variety of matters, which are described in detail in the Board of Trustees Statement of Commitment and Responsibilities. These include:
- supporting and advancing MassArt’s educational mission
- governance and performance accountability
- financial oversight
- institutional planning
- public support and visibility
The Board of Trustees meets a minimum of five times a year (in person) and the sub-committees meet more frequently (currently via video conferencing).
All Massachusetts College of Art and Design alumni are eligible to be considered for this five-year position, with the following exceptions:
- Any member of the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
- Any individual employed within the public higher education system of the Commonwealth
- Any individual who is unable to attend in person meetings and events hosted by the board. Meetings and events are generally held on campus at MassArt or in the Greater Boston area.
If you are interested in being considered to serve in this position, please complete all sections of the application/nomination form and upload the following documents: letter of interest, resume, brief bio statement, and the names and contact information for 3 references. MassArt alumni are also encouraged to nominate fellow alumni as candidates for the alumni trustee representative position.
Deadline for Applications/Nominations: April 3, 2022
- Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted by the MassArt Alumni Leadership Council (ALC) and the MassArt Board of Trustees (BOT) each during April - May 2022.
- We will reach out to all candidates in early June regarding the status of their application/nomination.
- Once the ALC and BOT have each met in early June and they have voted to approve the top candidate for the Elected Alumni Trustee position, the top candidate’s information will be sent to the Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to review and to consider for appointment.
- Upon appointment by the Governor and taking an oath of office, the Elected Alumni Trustee will become a full voting member of the Board of Trustees of MassArt and will commence their first 5-year term of service. The anticipated start date would be on or close to July 1, 2022.
If you have questions or would like further information about applying for the alumni trustee position, please contact Darlene Gillan, Director of Alumni Relations at Darlene.Gillan@massart.edu.