You are here
After your FAFSA has been filed, Student Financial Assistance may need to request some additional information from you in order to complete your application and award financial aid. Students should respond to requests for additional information in a timely manner. The Office of Student Financial Assistance cannot continue with the financial aid process until the additional information is received.
Examples of information that may be requested are:
- proof of citizenship
- proof of selective service registration
- proof of status as an Independent student
- proof of legal guardianship
- proof of homelessness determination
- prior enrollment history
- Question 23 worksheet
Some FAFSAs are selected for a review process called verification. If a student's FAFSA has been selected for verification, the Office of Student Financial Assistance will send notification requesting documentation from you that may include the following:
- A completed and signed verification worksheet
- 2018 income and tax information for the student and their spouse (if an Independent student) or the student and their parents (if a Dependent student) if required to file a tax return
- Copies of any 2018 W-2s for the student and their spouse (if an Independent student) or the student and their parents (if a Dependent student) if not required to file a tax return
- Confirmation of Non-filing Status from the IRS for the student and their spouse (if an Independent student) or their parents (if a Dependent student). Dependent students who were not required to file DO NOT need to submit Confirmation of Non-filing status
- Monthly Cash Flow Statement for the student and their spouse (if an Independent student) or their parents (if a Dependent student) if no income was reported
- Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose form
- Proof of high school completion
Income and tax information can be supplied in one of three ways, although the first two methods are preferred:
- The IRS data retrieval tool (IRS DRT) on the FAFSA. This option is available by making a correction to the FAFSA and then navigating to the Financial Information tab. Select "Already Completed" as the tax filing status and click "Link to the IRS." After the data transfer is complete, make sure to submit the FAFSA correction
- Federal tax return transcripts. These are not copies of the tax returns that you filed. They are documents which contain your processed IRS tax return information, and can be obtained online at irs.gov/transcript
- SIGNED copy of 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ Federal Tax Return
In most cases, the first two options above should be available within 2-3 weeks after the tax return has been processed by the IRS. Both options require you to enter personal information to access your tax data, so please make sure to enter your address exactly as it appears on your tax return. Otherwise, the options above will not work and you may need to contact the IRS.
If you have any questions about the verification process, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 617.879.7849.