You are here
Sports & Recreation
MassArt provides a variety of athletics including intramurals and recreation and wellness programs for all students, faculty and staff to engage in recreational pursuits that provides opportunities for personal growth and development in partnership with Colleges of the Fenway (COF) and its member institutions.
Sports, Recreation, and Wellness co-sponsors the COF intramurals program which promotes team sports activities between and among the six COF campuses.
Students participate in recreational sports including basketball, volleyball, flag football, and soccer (for both men and women).
The COF intramural program achieves a large university setting while still catering to the needs of the diversity of each institution.
The base for all programs offered by Sports, Recreation, and Wellness is the Schumann Fitness Center, located in Beatty Hall on the Wentworth Institute of Technology campus.
The Fitness Center offers a state-of-the-art line of selectorized, cardiovascular and free weight equipment. Group Exercise classes are offered located on Wentworth's campus at Tudbury Hall on Evans Way. Sports, Recreation, and Wellness also sponsors personal training to meet your needs.
Schumann Fitness Center
Please note: You will need your current MassArt ID in order to gain admittance to the Schumann Fitness Center.
Monday - Thursday: 6:00am -11:00pm
Friday: 6:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
Only members of the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, and Wentworth Institute of Technology are allowed to use the Fitness Center. No Exceptions.
- All visitors must possess and show a current college issued ID to gain admittance to the Schumann Fitness Center
- All visitors must check in at the desk upon arrival at the Schumann Fitness Center
- Closed toe athletic footwear must be worn at all times. Bare feet, boots or dress shoes may not be worn at any time while using the equipment
- Between the months of November and April, all visitors must change into a clean pair of shoes before using the Fitness Center
- Visitors must wear appropriate clothing at all times. Shirts are required
- As a courtesy to others, please wipe down the equipment after each use
- Out of safety concerns, please re-rack your weights when you have completed your exercise and return equipment to its proper location
- Barbells, when in use, must have collars
- No food (including gum) or drink (except water) is allowed at any time in the Schumann Fitness Center
- No abusive language permitted. Violators will be asked to leave
- Visitors are asked to not adjust the TV channel. If you would like to view another program, please ask the Fitness Center staff to change the channel for you
- Failure to follow the above policies and/or ignoring the direction of Schumann Fitness Center staff will result in a suspension of privileges at the discretion of the Director of Sports, Recreation, and Wellness
Are lockers available?
The Fitness Center has lockers where you may keep your belongings while you work out. You must bring your own lock, if you wish to lock up your belongs while working out. Sports, Recreation, and Wellness and the Fitness Center staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
I've heard it is impossible to get on equipment because it is so busy. Why is this?
While it is true that the Schumann Fitness Center is a busy place, there are always times when equipment is available. During peak hours (after 5:00pm) you may have to wait to use a piece of cardio equipment, however, there are time limits so that we can allow more individuals to use the equipment. We hope that this will keep everyone happy. You can always try adjusting your workout time to non-peak hours.
Are there personal trainers?
There are personal trainers that can be booked for sessions on a daily basis. Please speak with a Fitness Center attendant for more information about prices, availability, etc.
Where can I shower?
Shower facilities are available for use in the locker rooms in the Schumann Fitness Center. Please speak with a Fitness Center attendant for more information on location.
Group Exercise Classes
Each semester, the Schumann Fitness Center at Wentworth Institute of Technology offers a wide variety of group exercises classes to fulfill the needs of Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Massachusetts Colleges of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, and Wentworth Institute of Technology communities.
Group Exercise classes are held in Tudbury Hall on the Wentworth campus. The entrance for the classes is in the rear of Wentworth's Tudbury Hall, which can be found by walking down the alley between Tudbury Hall and 555 Huntington Avenue.