You are here
2011 - Ph.D, Editorial Studies, Boston University; 1992 - MA, Classics, Columbia University; BA - Philosophy, University of Vermont
- 2003-present - Founder and Principal Agent, Albert LaFarge Literary Agency
- 2010-2011 - Research Fellow, Boston University
- 2008-2009 - Visiting Lecturer, Harvard University Extension School
- 1999-2002 - Deputy Editor, Doubletake Magazine
- 1999-2002 - Teaching Fellow, Harvard University
Books (as translator or volume editor)
- 2008 - Minding the Store: Great Writing About Business, from Tolstoy to Now. New Press. Coeditor, with Robert Coles.
- 2000 - The Essential William H. Whyte. Fordham University Press, Editor. Arabia Fe lix from the Time of the Queen of Sheba: Eighth Century B.C. to First Century A.D., by Jean-François Breton. University of Notre Dame Press. Translator (from French).
- 2000 - U.S. Flea Market Directory. St. Martin’s Press, third ed.
- 1996 - The Beatles and the Sixties, by Claude Meunier and Michka Assayas. Henry Holt. Translator (from French).
- 2008 - “Park Benchmarks.” CommonWealth, Winter
- 2007 - “Simple Pleasures” (review of The Architecture of Happiness, by Alain de Botton). CommonWealth, Summer
- 2006 - “The Wit and Wisdom of Holly Whyte.” In The Humane Metropolis: People and Nature in the Twenty-First Century, ed. Rutherford H. Platt. University of Massachusetts Press
- 2002 - “A Clip Artist Finds a Shrub of His Own.” The New York Times, June 28
- 2001 - “Staring at the Sun: A Conversation with José Saramago.” DoubleTake, Summer
- 2001 - “Hazel and the Captain” (translation, from French, of a chapter from Mercure, by Amélie Nothomb), Two Lines: A Journal of Translation
Presentations, Papers, and Panels
- 2016 - Presenter, “Lobster Laughs Last” (on humor in the early fiction of Samuel Beckett), on panel, “What Makes Something Funny? Close Readings,” moderated by Helaine Smith and Stephen K. Wright. ALSCW 20th Annual Conference. Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., October 27, 2016.
- 2016 - Panelist & workshop leader, “Writing, Publishing, and Social Media for Healthcare Professionals ” (3-day conference), Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, March 17–19
- 2016 - Panelist, “Literary Agents and the Biz ,” roundtable with Ann Hood and Gail Hochman. Hosted by Goat Hill at the Providence Athenaeum, March 5, 2016.
- 2015 - Moderator, “Adapting Armies of the Night,” panel with Michael Chaiken and John Buffalo Mailer. Norman Mailer Society 13th Annual Conference, Provincetown, MA, October 1, 2015.
- 2015 - Workshop leader, “The Synopsis: Structure, Structure, Structure. Or, the Synoptic Gospel” (craft session). Ocean State Summer Writing Conference, University of Rhode Island, June 20, 2015.
- 2015 - Panelist, “E-books: A Panel Discussion,” moderated by Julie Silver, M.D. “Achieving Healthcare Leadership and Impact through Writing, Publishing, and Social Media” (3-day conference), Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, April 10, 2015.
- 2000 - Harvard University Bok Center Prize for Distinction in Teaching
Professional Affiliations and Organizations
- 2010 - Modern Language Association (MLA)
- 2010 - Norman Mailer Society. Life member
- 2009 - Association of Literary Scholars, Critics, and Writers (ALSCW). Life member.
- 2001-05 - American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME)
- 1992-2014 Authors Guild