You are here
Graduate Tuition and Fees
Graduate Tuition: Summer 2020 - Spring 2021
Per Credit Tuition and Fees
(50% tuition / 50% fees)
|Average Credits 1st Year||Average Cost 1st Year*||Total Credits||Anticipated Total Program Tuition & Fees*|
|Fine Arts Programs|
MFA: 2D/3D, Film/Video, Photography
|MFA: Design - Dynamic Media Institute (2-year)||$800||30||$24,000||60||$48,000|
|MFA: Design - Dynamic Media Institute (3-year)||$800||18||$14,400||60||$48,000|
|MFA: Fine Arts Low-Residency||$800||29||$23,200||60||$48,000|
|Postbaccalaureate Programs: Photography, Design - Dynamic Media Institute||$800||24||$19,200||24||$19,200|
|Master of Architecture Track 1||$800||42||$33,600||102||$81,600|
|Master of Architecture Track 2||$800||45||$36,000||60||$48,000|
|Master of Design Innovation||$800||31||$24,800||60||$48,000|
|Art Education Programs|
|Master of Education||$800||21||$16,800||30||$24,000|
|Master of Arts in Teaching/Art Education||$800||18||$14,400||36||$28,800|
|Teacher Preparation Program||$572||12||$6,864||24||$13,728|
Graduate tuition and fees fy 2020
Graduate course charges accrue on a per-credit basis. The tuition and fees per credit vary with program academic level with a difference between master’s degrees and the TPP Program, but do not vary based on the student's residency status. The anticipated total program tuition and fees is an estimate based FY 2020 per-credit tuition and fees rates applied to total program credits.
MassArt’s fiscal year runs from the start of the summer term through the end of the spring term.
*Additional fees charged for specific programs, courses and for late Thesis completion are not included in the listed per-credit fee and anticipated total program tuition and fees.
Please note that Continuing Education, Certificate, and Graduate courses and programs are not state supported. If you believe you are eligible for a tuition waiver, please submit documentation of the applicable tuition waiver such as a completed and signed tuition waiver form to the PCE or Graduate Program office for review.
- MFA (fine arts majors): 30 credits per year
- Graduate Postbaccalaureate Program Design, Photography: 24-29 credits in 1 year
- MFA: Fine Arts Low-Residency: 29 credits year 1, 25 credits year 2, 6 credits summer 3
- M.Arch Track 1: 42 credits year 1, 45 credits year 2, 15 credits year 3
- M.Arch Track 2: 45 credits year 1, 15 credits year 2
- MDes: 30 credits per year
- MFA: Design (Dynamic Media Institute): 2-year track, 30 credits per year; 3-year track, 18 credits per year, with an additional 6 elective credits over the course of the program
- BFA/MA and BFA/MAT: 30 credits in 1 year
- MAT: 18 credits per year
- MEd: 21 credits year 1, 9 credits year 2
- TPP: 12 credits per year
- Photography Student Ink Fee - $600 charged in the fall and spring terms to students who are enrolled in the MFA Photography and Post-Baccalaureate Photography programs ($1200 in an academic year)
- Art Education Student Teaching Supervision Fee - $750 charged to students each term they are enrolled in a Student Teaching Practicum course. This applies to the art education programs that require this course: BFA/MA, BFA/MAT, MAT, and TPP
- M.Arch Thesis Continuation Fee - $500 charged to M.Arch students working to complete the Thesis in a term after enrollment in the final thesis course
Every student enrolled in nine credits or more MUST either enroll in MassArt's health insurance plan or submit an insurance waiver. When starting a program in the summer term, students are charged for each month they are enrolled in summer classes. Students are charged in the fall for the full academic year. The MassArt insurance cost for academic year 2020-2021 is $3,400.
Off-campus Living Expenses
The Office of Student Financial Assistance estimates a moderate 9-month budget for Boston at $19,500 and $27,300 for 12 months.
Art Supplies and Books
Art Supplies and Books are estimated to cost $2,000 for students enrolled for two terms, and $3,000 for students enrolled over three terms.
Graduate Summer Housing
Graduate Summer Housing is currently $400 per week.
- MFA Low-Residency Summer Housing (6.5 weeks): Single Room $2,800
- Master of Architecture Summer Housing (10.5 weeks): Single Room $4,523
- Master of Arts Summer Housing (9 weeks): Single Room: $3,877
Summer term on-campus housing and the cost and payment for it are managed by the Graduate Programs Office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic Year Housing (Fall & Spring terms)
MassArt's Artists' Residence offers a few shared apartments to graduate students. The estimated yearly cost is $14,530, or $7,265 per semester.
Fall and spring term on-campus housing is managed by MassArt's Office of Housing and Residence Life. Please note that graduate students receiving on-campus housing in their first academic year are not guaranteed a second year. Most graduate students live off-campus during the fall and spring terms.