You are here
Working at the edge of documentary tradition, S. Billie Mandle creates photographs that distill attention. She has photographed places such as Catholic confessionals, a shelter for refugees, and Emily Dickinson’s bedroom.
Her work is widely exhibited, including at the Addison Gallery of American Art (Andover, MA), Garden (Los Angeles, CA), and the Hèyres Photography Festival (France). Her projects have been supported by grants from the New York Foundation for the Arts, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, and the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation and featured in publications such as Aperture, Cabinet, and Wired. In 2020 her monograph, Reconciliation, was published.
She received a BA in biology from Williams College and an MFA from Massachusetts College of Art and Design. Prior to joining the faculty at MassArt, she taught at Hampshire College.
- 2020 - "Blue Ground," Garden, Los Angeles
- 2019 - "Armchair Travel," Danforth Art Museum, Framingham, MA
- 2018 - "From Starfield to MARS: Paul Manship and His Artistic Legacy," Addison Gallery of American Art, Andover, MA
- 2020 - "Reconciliation," summer, Kehrer Verlag, Germany. Text by Kirstin Valdez Quade.
- 2020 - Billie Mandle: True Confessionals, Blind Magazine, April 2020
- 2017 - "Hospitals," Boston Art Review, Issue 01, Spring 2017
- 2107 - George Prochnik, A"Artist Project: Reconciliation," Cabinet, Issue 62, Summer
- 2013 - Robin Kelsey, "Our Lady of Perpetual Help: Thoughts on Recent Scholarship on Photography," Aperture, vol. 2, Fall
Awards & Recognitions
- 2020 - Massachusetts Cultural Council Artist Fellowship in Photography
- 2019 - James and Sylvia Thayer Short-Term Research Fellowships, University of California Los Angeles
- 2018 - Berkshire Taconic Foundation Grant for Artists
- 2013 - National Endowment for the Humanities Challenge Grant (Hampshire College)
- The Addison Gallery of American Art, Andover, Massachusetts, United States
- The Donovan Collection, Toronto, Canada
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, United States
- Fidelity Collection, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Society of Photographic Education
- College Art Association