You are here
The Boston Globe refers to Jay Calderin as "a budding designer's best friend." Jay Calderin is the author of The Fashion Design Reference & Specification Book, which the LA Times called, "a new fashion bible for designers, aspirers and the just plain curious, this tome contains all the secrets." It was followed by Fashion Design Essentials: 100 Principles of Fashion Design. Designer Ralph Rucci says, "The importance of Jay Calderin's book truly cannot be overstated" about his latest book, What They Didn’t Teach You in Fashion School.
In addition to his own books, he collaborated on Fashion Design, Referenced, and was a contributor to Native Fashion Now, the book that accompanied the Peabody Essex Museum's exhibit of the same name.
Calderin founded Boston Fashion Week and has served as the organization's Executive Director since 1995. In 2012 he was appointed Creative Director of the first Chengdu Fashion Week in China. His work as a fashion designer has graced the pages of Vogue and Elle magazines.
He is an instructor and the Director of Community Relations at the School of Fashion Design in Boston. In addition to artist demonstrations and teaching studio art classes at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston he teaches at the Massachusetts College of Art and Design and joined the ranks of CreativeLive's highly respected team of online educators.
Jay was honored by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay as "Big Brother of the Year" in 2009, by Youth Design as "Mentor of the Year" in 2014, by the Boston Arts Academy in 2018 for his achievements in fashion, and in 2019 by Boston Design Week as "Mentor of the Year."
- 2018 - Fashion Accessibility Project Exhibit presented by VSA Massachusetts
- 2018 - Marca X presented by Villa Victoria Center for the Arts Gallery
- 2018 - Rodando Mis R’s/Rolling My R’s Dress - A LGBTQIA/Latinx exhibition organized by Villa Victoria Center for the Arts, Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción (IBA), the Boston LGBTQIA Artist Alliance (BLAA), and the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard
- 2017 - Fashion Accessibility Project presented by Epicenter Community and ArtsEmerson
- 2018 - What They Didn't Teach You in Fashion School (Author)
- 2015 - Native Fashion Now/Peabody Essex Museum (Contributor)
- 2013 - Fashion Design Reference + Specification Book - Everything Fashion Designers Need to Know Every Day (Author)
- 2013 - Fashion Design, Referenced - A Visual Guide to the History, Language, and Practice of Fashion (Co-author)
- 2012 - Fashion Design Essentials - 100 Principles of Fashion Design (Author)
Awards, Recognitions & Honors
- 2019 - Boston Design Week Mentor of the Year Award
- 2018 - Boston Arts Academy Honors Medal
- 2014 - Youth Design Mentor of the Year Award
- 2010 - El Planeta’s Powermeter 100 List
- 2009 - Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay’s Big Brother of the Year Award
- 2009 - 20 On The Move: Hispanic Executives Making a Difference in Boston
- 2017-present - Boston Arts Academy, Fashion Technology Advisory Board Chair
- 2013-18 - Fashion Group International of Boston, Board of Directors
- 2015-2016 - Leadership Council for Boston Creates
- 2009-2010 - Fashion Group International of Boston, Executive Member/Regional Director