You are here
MFA, Ceramics/3D, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, 2016. PhD, Art Education/Educational Theory and Policy, Penn State, 1995. MSEd, Art Education/Ceramics, Alfred University, 1992. BSEd, Education/Ceramics, The City College of New York, 1986.
- 2021 - "Contemplative Clay," Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA.
- 2020 - "Personae Gratae: Begin At Home," Highland Hall, Falmouth, MA.
- 2019 - "Constructed ClayScapes," San Angelo Museum of Art, San Angelo, TX. 2019 Eutectic Gallery (With Elliot Kayser) Portland, OR.
- 2019 - "The Good Making of Good Things: Craft Horizons Magazine 1941-1979," Minnesota Museum of American Art, St. Paul, MN.
- 2019 - "More Than That" (Juror: Roberto Lugo) Flaten Museum of Art, Northfield, MN.
- 2019 - "Cell Persona: Incarceration’s Impact on Black Lives" (Solo) Northfield Arts Guild, Northfield, MN. Official NCECA exhibit. This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through grants from MSAB thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts & cultural heritage fund.
- 2013 - Exhibition: "Eye to I: 3,000 Years of Portraits," Katonah Museum of Art Catalogue, Katonah, NY.
- 2001 - "Concerning the Religious in Art Education," In Contemporary Issues in Art Education, (New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2001) ed. by Yvonne Gaudelius and Peg Speirs.
- 2000 - "Art Education Through Ceramics: From Clay to Culture," The Studio Potter, vol. 29(1): 43-48 (December 2000)
- 1992 - Review: Robert Arneson’s "I have My Eyes on Me Endlessly," 1992, Sculpture, bronze.
- 2020 - Arlington High School, Visiting Artist (Remote Ceramics Talk) Arlington, MA. The Winsor School, Boston, MA Visiting Artist Ceramics Demonstration and Workshop, 2020
- 2020 - "Strategies for Bridging Identity and Politics in Clay Communities," Panel member, NCECA, Richmond, VA, 2020
- 2020 - "Art Making as Spiritual Practice," Panel Moderator, NCECA, Richmond, VA. 2020
- 2019 - "The Art of Radical Mentorship," Panel (members: Lauren Sandler, Sana Musasama, Courtney Leonard, Jigna Desai) NCECA, Minneapolis, MN, 2019
- 2018 - "Unpacking, Reframing, Engaging" Panel (members: Janna Longacre, Shelia Pepe, Jasmine Baetz) NCECA, Pittsburgh, PA, 2018
Awards & Recognitions
- 2018 - South Eastern Minnesota Arts Council Advancing Artist Grant
- 2017 - Student Support Services Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2009 - Interfaith Dialogue Awardee from the American Jewish Committee and Westchester Jewish Conference for American Pluralism, November 2009
- 2006 - Received the Outstanding African American Men Award for Outreach to Youth (Contemporary Activities) Alpha Kappa Alpha (Xi Chi Omega Chapter) October 2006
- Wellesley College Multifaith Center
- University of Tennessee Ewing Gallery
- San Angelo Museum of Art
- Michael Creighton and Cecil Leslie
- National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA)
- Northern Clay Center (NCC)
- College Art Association (CAA)
- National Art Education Association (NAEA)
- National Education Association (NEA)