You are here
Annie Meyer is a Boston-based studio woodworker, designer, and craftsperson. Annie holds a BFA in Industrial Design from Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and an MFA in 3D Design from Cranbrook Academy of Art. They have shown work in galleries and museums including Wasserman Projects, Fuller Craft Museum, and Cranbrook Art Museum. Annie is Director and Faculty for MassArt’s Furniture Design Certificate Program, and Lecturer at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University. They have taught additional courses and workshops at The Eliot School of Fine and Applied Arts, The North Bennet Street School, and Haystack Mountain School of Crafts.
- May 2013 – Present Owner, Annie Meyer Studio, Boston, MA.
- June 2022 – Present Furniture Design Certificate Program Director, MassArt, Boston, MA. Oversee curriculum development, Oversee development of new studio space. Recruit, hire, orient, and evaluate program faculty. Advise current students, Consult on budget. Collaborate with admissions and marketing teams. Arrange visiting artists, designers, and critics.
- Aug. 2021 – Aug. 2022 Woodshop Studio Manager, MassArt, Boston, MA. Maintained and repaired equipment in support of safe and effective working environment. Provided instruction and training on the safe, proper and appropriate use of hand and power tools.
- Mar. 2020– May 2021 3D Department Assistant & Woodshop Manager, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI. Maintained and improved functionality, cleanliness and safety of 3D department woodshop, mixed-use shop, and spray booth. Developed shop policies and protocols.
- Sept. 2019 – May 2021 Central Materials Lab Assistant, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI. Maintained functionality, cleanliness and safety of woodshop, metal shop, and digital fabrication shop. Provided fabrication assistance to students from 11 majors.
- June 2019 – Aug. 2019 Workshop Assistant, Center for Furniture Craftsmanship, Rockland, ME. Assisted instructors with lessons including basic woodworking, turning, carving, joinery, furniture building, and more. Trained dozens of students on safe woodworking procedures. Monitored safety. Performed routine hand tool and machine maintenance.
- 2022 Biennial Design Exhibition, MassArt X SoWa, Boston, MA
- 2022 Tea Dance, Collected Detroit, Detroit, MI
- 2022 Rememberance of Things Present, Scarab Club, Detroit, MI
- 2021– 2022 Off Hours, Frances Euphemia Thompson Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2021 Speculative Histories, Cranbrook Saarinen House, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- 2021 Graduate Degree Show, Cranbrook Art Museum, Bloomfield Hills, MI
Selected publications, Presentations & Media:
- 2021 A Proposal for Nonbinary Objecthood, Cranbrook Academy of Art
- 2020 Form Finding Through Queer & Feminist Theory, Cranbrook Academy of Art
- 2019 3D Fine Arts: Craft, Art & Vision, MassArt (moderator)
- 2020 Shaprio, Deborah. A Group Exhibition in Detroit Celebrates the Design Scene of a City That Was ‘Never Normal’. Sight Unseen. Sightunseen.com
- 2020 Andrew, Laurel. Wood Sculptor Annie Meyer Pursues New Creative Heights. The P.E.O. Record. Page 26. Print.
- 2019 Knoll. Cranbrook Academy of Art Announces 2019-2020 Kass Bradley Scholarship Recipient Sept. 2019. Knoll.com
Awards, Recognitions, Honors:
- 2023 Chairmaker’s Toolbox Scholarship Awardee, The Woodworking School at Pine Croft, Berea, KY
- 2022 Pentaculum Artist in Residence, Arrowmont School of Arts & Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN
- 2021 Artist in Residence, Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, Deer Isle, MI
- 2020 Meredith & Scott Beau Materials Fund Award, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- 2020 President’s Award for Sustainability, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI