You are here
MassArt is proud to support student scholarships and individual auction artists through our 2021 MassArt Auction virtual events. Please see the instructions below, which reflect the "Auction Guidelines" that are outlined on pages 8-9 of the 2021 Auction catalog, to get started.
On Saturday, April 10th, please join us at massartauction.org/bid promptly at 8:00 PM EST to participate in this year’s virtual Live Auction, live streamed with MassArt Trustee and Skinner CEO, Karen M. Keane.
What is a Virtual Live Auction?
A live auction is hosted in real-time and is held before an audience of bidders. Bidsquare allows a bidder to remotely participate in a live gallery auction via the internet.
How Do I Participate?
- Before April 10, create an account on Bidsquare and register for the 2020 MassArt Auction - Live Auction
Note: If you registered for the Buy Now Preview or 2021 Silent Auction, you do not need to register separately for the Live Auction.
- Log into your account and find the 2021 MassArt Auction - Live Auction starting at 8 PM EST on April 10
- Karen will begin with the starting bid for Lot 01
- Bidders participating in the Live Virtual Auction can type their bids online through the webpage and will have their bids automatically received by a remote clerk, who will place your bid in real-time
- Bidding will continue until competition for the lot ends. If the highest bid offered meets the minimum price designated by the seller as acceptable, the lot is sold
- The auctioneer will then move on to the next lot
Bidders who are unable to attend the Virtual Live Auction can place absentee bids online starting Saturday, March 27th at 12:00 PM EST, which will be automatically processed by the auction clerk the night of the Live Auction.
Silent Auction Bidding
The three Silent Auction sections outlined in the catalog will all be featured in one timed online auction starting Saturday, March 27th at 12:00 NOON EST through Sunday, April 11th at 12:00 NOON EST via massartauction.org/bid.
What Is a Timed Auction?A timed auction is automated, and takes place solely online. The bidding for each lot is opened at a predetermined level at a set time and stays open over an extended period. A bidder’s identity is always kept confidential during the auction. In this timed auction, bidding will begin at NOON EST on Saturday, March 27, after the BUY NOW Preview and sales will begin to close incrementally at 12:00 NOON EST on Sunday, April 11, beginning with Lot #100 and running through Lot #399, which represents the end of the auction.
How Do I Participate?
- Before March 27, create an account on Bidsquare, if you don't have one already, and register for the 2021 MassArt Auction - Silent Auction via the “Before the Auction” instructions listed above. Note: If you registered for the Buy Now Preview, you do not need to register separately for the Silent Auction.
- Log into your account and find the 2021 MassArt Auction- Silent Auction, starting at 12 PM EST on March 27.
- At any point during this period of open bidding, a bidder will be able to see the current high bid on each lot.
- If you would like to place a bid on a piece, you may place a higher bid than the listed starting bid or current high bid at a defined bidding increment.
- After placing a bid, bidders are automatically informed by email if they are the high bidder, or if they have been outbid by another competing bidder.
- If you’d prefer, you are able to set a maximum bid on any lot you are interested in. Once you’ve set a maximum bid, Bidsquare will continue to bid on that lot on your behalf up to that stated maximum amount.
- At the end of the defined bidding period, beginning at 12:00 NOON EST on April 11, the lot is sold to the highest bid offered.
We encourage all MassArt Auction guests to register in advance of Friday, March 19th on Bidsquare and re-familiarize yourselves with the platform by visiting bidsquare.com/user/register. This will allow you to preview and purchase artwork during the Buy Now period from March 22th—March 25th and be ready to submit bids when the Auction officially opens for bidding on Saturday, March 27th at 12:00 NOON EST via MassArtauction.org/bid.
Once you register, Bidsquare will be notified and will approve you for bidding or request additional information to complete your registration via email. If you created an account on Bidsquare for last year’s MassArt Auction your log-in credentials should still be valid, but we recommend that you double check them to make sure. Registering a few days in advance will ensure you will be approved to bid in time for the Auction. Good news: you only have to register once this year. Your registration for any one 2021 Auction event on Bidsquare will be automatically transferred to all three Auctions— making it easier than ever to get started!
Over 300 works of art in a range of media from emerging to established artists are available to buy now during the Buy Now Preview period and for bidding in the Silent and Live Auctions online through Bidsquare.
Listing updates have occurred for the following lots and the correct information will be listed on Bidsquare:
- Lot 115B: Cat's Cradle by Catherine Stack M'08, edition updated to 7 of 15
- Lot 152B: new piece, Blue Teacup by Sarah Dolan '09, 2020, Color Pencil on Paper, 5" x 7", $300
- Lot 156B: new piece, Joey Chopping Strawberries by Cherish Springer '21, 2020, Acrylic on Canvas, 12" x 16", $300
- Lot 158B: new piece, Good News Sleeps til' Noon by Randy Harbin M'96, 2020, Charcoal, Wax, Coffee on paper, 22” x 15”, $400
- Lot 168B: new piece, Interior #4 by Kailey Coppens '20, 2020, Glass, vinyl, fabric, acrylic paint, thread, 15.5" x 12.5" x .5", $400
- Lot 171B: new piece Refractory by Kenneth Fitzgerald '83 M'96, 2019, Ink and paints on wallpaper, 20" x 16", $500
- Lot 179B: new piece, Horizon Line by Michael Zachary M'08, 2017, CMYK ink markers, conte crayons, and graphite on paper, 18.5" x 16.5", $1,800
- Lot 196B: new piece, In the Making, by Elisa H. Hamilton '07, 2020, Crayon, ink, gouache, and oil pastel on paper, 10" x 10", $300
- Lot 199B: new piece, Egg Carton 2 by Sam Dienst '162020, Assorted Yarn, 16" x 22", $400
- Lot 204B: Having Fun 1 and 2 by Lucas Warner, new lot number and new edition 2 of 6
- Lot 242B: Explorers, by Alex Gerasev F, new lot number
- Lot 254B: new piece, Moonrise by Tiffany Doggett M'20, 2019, Felted wool on linen, 13" x 13", $600
- Lot 260: Guggenheim 3 by Elliot Schildkrout, dimensions corrected to 20" x 20"
- Lot 275: Untitled (Diptych) by Alison Judd, dimensions corrected to 16" x 14" each
- Lot 277B: new piece, Venus 4 by Susan Murie, 2018, Cyanotype on paper, with ink, 30" x 22", $800
- Lot 278: Old State House by Phillip Jones, year corrected to 2019
- Lot 284B: new piece, Cityscape/Early by Robert Maloney '96 M'14, 2015, Edition AP, Etching with surface roll, 12" x 12", $450
- Lot 292B: new piece, Flowers by Anne Neinecke '92, 2020, Acrylic, graphite on watercolor paper, 14" x 20", $950
- Lot 349B: new piece, GYM-DANDY by Daisy St Sauveau '19, 2020, Acrylic on canvas, 30 x 24, $1,200
- Lot 354: Labyrinth by Mary Hughes, dimensions corrected to 16" x 16
- Lot 374: image and artwork information updated to Untitled by Raymond Saá, 2020, gouache collage on sewn paper, $5,200, 32.5" x 28.5"
- Lot 381: Marching Goats and Five Sheep Overlooking Waterfall (Diptych) by Molly Batchelder, value corrected to $800
- Lot 391: La Spezia by Linda Gerry, dimensions corrected to 28" x 42"
Due to extenuating circumstances, the following pieces are no longer available:
- Lot 108: Autumn, Yuan-yuan Wang
- Lot 180: Flowers on a Reclaimed Studio Cabinet Door by Davy Fiveash
- Lot 181: Line Fall Study by Julian Lorber '05
- Lot 265: Pack Save Send by Kate Sullivan '90
- Lot 200: The Four Sides of the Tower for the Community Activities Center, Davenport, Iowa, Plate #05 by Sol Lewitt
- Lot 220: Something About the Moon 13 by Steve Stankiewicz
LIVE AUCTION PUBLIC PREVIEW
View the exhibition from home! This year we're excited to offer the opportunity for anyone to see the Live Auction artwork installation from anywhere. We partnered with alumni founded business Glasshouse Media to bring the 2021 MassArt Live Auction artwork to you!
Take the 3D Tour
Tour Navigation Tips:
- On your computer, navigate by clicking the white circles on the floor
- Use the arrows on your key pad to move around the room
- To view Lot details, click on the yellow tags next to the artwork
- Click the Lot number on the yellow tag to be directed to Bidsquare for more details
For questions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purchasing Your Artwork
All artwork purchases are subject to Massachusetts 6.25% sales tax unless the purchaser possesses a sales tax exemption certificate.
All artwork purchases must be paid for with a credit card via a link in the invoice that buyers will be emailed at the close of the Auction.
A buyer’s premium equal to 12% of the winning bid will be applied to each lot sold and will be paid by the buyer as part of the purchase price. This premium helps to offset the administrative costs of running the MassArt Auction in order to ensure the funds raised through artwork sales go directly to student scholarships and academic programming. A buyer’s premium will not be applied to any pledge(s) made during the Live Auction’s Raise Your Paddle fundraising opportunity. Gifts made through Raise Your Paddle are outright donations and are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Raise Your Paddle
Raise Your Paddle is our annual appeal for outright contributions to our student scholarship fund. Your gift of any amount will help MassArt remain affordable and accessible. We encourage our guests to consider participating in Raise Your Paddle at the end of the Live Auction or making their gift online by visiting massartauction.org/give.
Hosting FROM home
This year, our partners at East Meets West have come up with an awesome selection of catering and cocktail menus to get you in the Auction spirit! Select from a choice of three different menu options and have them delivered directly to your door for the night of the Live Auction.
Mix it up on your at-home dance floor with some tunes! MassArt alumna and music guru DJ Dayglow put together the perfect Auction playlist for you to bop to while you browse and prepare your bids!
Due to the persistence of the COVID-19 pandemic, our team continues to work closely with our artwork transportation partners at Clark Fine Art Services to provide an excellent experience for our buyers. As of now, we plan to offer all buyers the options of local Boston area pick up, free delivery in the Metro Boston, MA area* or shipment of artwork at the expense of the purchaser during the weeks after the Auction. Please know that it may take longer than usual this year to get purchased pieces into the hands of buyers due to the extenuating circumstances we are currently facing. Thank you in advance for your patience.
*Metro Boston, MA area includes the following: Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Boston, Brookline, Burlington, Cambridge, Concord, Dedham, Dover, Everett, Lexington, Lincoln, Medford, Melrose, Needham, Newton, Quincy, Somerville, Stoneham, Sudbury, Wakefield, Waltham, Watertown, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, Westwood, Winchester, Woburn
Please contact Fundraising Events Coordinator Olga Batyuk at email@example.com or 617.879.7014 with any questions you may have.
Again, thank you so much for your support of MassArt students and our greater community of artists.