Skip to main content

You are here

Non-degree International Students

In certain cases international students who have been accepted to a non-degree program at MassArt will need to apply for an F-1 visa. The student will need an I-20 Form in order to apply for and obtain an F-1 student visa* to study at MassArt in F-1 status. Once we receive all of the required documents (see below), we will issue your I-20, send it to you and you will apply for your F-1 visa in your home country at the nearest US consulate or embassy. 

*Please note, you will need to keep a copy of your decision and scholarship letters (if any) for your visa appointment). What do I need to do in order to have my I-20 issued and sent to me?

  1. Pay your deposit
  2. Submit a copy of your acceptance letter to the program
  3. Submit a copy of your passport
  4. Submit a copy of any current US visa stamps inside your passport
  5. Submit the completed I-20 Information Request Form (please email if you have any trouble accessing this form)
  6. Submit Declaration of Finance: Summer Studios Program
  7. Submit Verification of Finance (Bank Statement): All funds must be backed up by a Verification of Finances (VOF). A VOF is an official letter from the student's/sponsor's bank or a bank statement reflecting that the student/sponsor has access to funds that will cover the cost of tuition, fees, and living for one year. You should use the Estimated Expenses of your program as a guide for how much funding you need to show.

All documents may be sent via scanned email copy to:

Currently attending or have attended another U.S. institution within the past 5 months, or are currently on Optional Practical Training? You must submit all of the following documents and the SEVIS transfer process must be completed before you are allowed to begin studying at MassArt.

  1. Submit 1-6 above
  2. Complete and submit the first part of the MassArt F-1 Transfer-In Form. Give the second part of form to your current institution to complete and submit.
  3. Submit a copy of your current I-20 document
  4. Submit copies of all previous I-20 documents
  5. Submit a copy of your I-94: check "yes," click on submit and then complete information to view I-94 info
  6. Submit a copy of Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Card (only if you are currently on OPT) 

All documents may be sent via scanned email copy to:

Please Note: We will not be able to issue your I-20 until you have sent all of the necessary documents. It is your responsibility to send us the required documentation in a timely manner to avoid any delays in visa processing. We work in order of the date you submit all of the required documents (earliest date first) to issue and send your I-20.  All I-20s are sent via UPS 2-3 business day track-able mail to the address you indicated on your I-20 Information Request Form. You will receive an email with the tracking number when the I-20 it is sent to you.