You are here
Register for Internship Credit
Eligible internships may be registered for 3 studio elective credits. To start the process, follow the steps below to apply for academic credit for your internship. This must be done before starting your internship and by the add/drop deadline for the semester. Retroactive credit cannot be given. Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by your internship organization and your faculty internship advisor (and other reviewers as needed.) Once approved, you the registrar’s office will automatically enroll you in credit. Your faculty internship advisor has final approval on credit for your internship. You must register your internship for credit for you to be eligible for any available internship awards.
- Select your regular advisor or another full-time faculty member in your program to be your Faculty Internship Advisor
- Your Faculty Internship Advisor has final approval for internship credit
- They will review your internship, learning goals, evaluations, and will assign a grade at the end of the internship
Before you submit the application for internship credit, you will need to have the following information:
- Company information and your direct supervisor's name & contact information
- Supervisor's Experience
- Exact beginning date & end date and number of hours per week
- Total number of hours (must be a minimum of 135 within 15 a week semester)
- If the internship is paid or unpaid and how much
- Faculty Internship Advisor name
The Application for Internship Credit form will ask you to answer to the following questions in detail. This is the information your faculty will review when approving for credit:
- Describe internship activities, duties, responsibilities
- Describe how this internship is related to your academic, professional, and career goals
- Please list and describe how your current skill set, including computer skills, will be utilized in this internship
- List 4 to 5 goals you want to achieve by completing this internship
- Please describe how your internship fits the following Internship definition:
Internship Definition: An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.
The application and approval process is completed electronically. There is no physical paperwork.
- Login into Handshake
- Click "Career Center" in the upper menu and select "Experiences."
- Select "Request an Experience" in upper right of the screen.
- Complete the form with as much detail as possible- this is the
- Information your faculty will have to go on when reviewing/approving for credit. Then Click "Request Experience" to submit your completed application for internship credit
- Contact us immediately if you have any problems with the form
- Submitting this form does not complete the registration process enrollment in credit is still pending approval
The internship registration approval process is happens online Handshake. Once MassArt Career Development receives your application for credit, they will review the information and contact you if there are any questions. If it looks good, they will initiate the the approval process. Handshake will send out an email to each approver with a link to your internship information and ask them to review/approve.
Typically, the approvals will be signed off in the following order:
- Company Internship Supervisor
- MassArt Faculty Internship Advisor
Additional reviewers may be added in unique circumstances. Once approved, the Registrar's office will automatically enroll you in 3 Studio Elective Credits for your internship. The approval process takes an average of 10 days but can take longer if an approver does not respond to the email prompt in a timely fashion.
You can monitor your internship approvals online:
- Login into Handshake
- Click "Career Center" in the upper menu and select "Experiences"
- You will see the internship you submitted with a status indicated on it. "Pending" means it is being processed by Career Development, "Being Approved" means it has been sent for approvals, and "Approved" means you are all set and it has been registered for credit.
- You can view the full details of the internship including who has approved so far.
Once all reviewers have signed off the Registrar's office will automatically enroll you in 3 Studio Elective Credits for the internship.