You are here
A trans-disciplinary story-teller, veronique d'entremont (they/them) explores personal and historical narratives through artifacts, site-referential materials, non-traditional procedures of making, and collaboration with non-human kin. They look to syncretic traditions and applied magic for practices that mirror their own relationship to materials and process. The artist approaches personal content as research and as spiritual practice, creating interactive installations as spaces for discovering poetic entanglements and holding experiences of trauma. Through de-centering dominant human narratives, veronique seeks pathways toward healing our relationships to ourselves, each other and the lands on which we live. Whether artwork is composed of cemetery dirt and human cremains, or burnout castings designed to release a curse, veronique believes objects can hold memory and that a sculpture can also be a spell.
- 2022-2025 — Studio Residency at Boston Center for the Arts
- 2021 — Public Art Commission. Their Body Became an Antenna, Transmitting the Message of God. Temporary sculpture installation. Los Angeles State Historic Park, The Institute for Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (ICA LA) and LAND (Los Angeles Nomadic Division). Los Angeles, CA
- 2020 — Baptized in the Fires of the Cuyahoga River. SPACES. Cleveland, OH.
- 2019 — Her Body Became an Antenna, Transmitting the Message of God. Nothing Special. Los Angeles, CA. (collaboration w/ Danny Mekonnen)
- 2019 — If Every Mother Were A Saint, Heaven Would Be Full By Now. Washington Reid Gallery, Project Space. Culver City, CA.
- 2016 — What I Mean When I Say I’m Going Home. Boehm Gallery, Palomar College. San Marcos, CA.
- 2013 — The Weight Of Certain Objects. Commonwealth & Council. Los Angeles, CA.
Selected publications, Presentations & Media:
- 2021 — “When You Meet The Monster, Anoint His Feet: Meeting Extinction with Resilience and Grace,” Environmental Melancholia, panelist. College Art Association
2021 Conference. International online conference. (https://vimeo.com/498449567 Password CAA2021)
- 2021 — The Power to Change: Reshaping Institutions from Carceral to Academic, session co-chair and panelist. College Art Association 2021 Conference. International online conference. (https://vimeo.com/499262192 Password CAA2021)
- 2020 — “Church of Art” Aesthetics of the Spiritual in Contemporary Art. Panelist. College Art Association 2020 Conference. February 12, 2020, Chicago, Il.
- 2018 — “Equal and Meaningful Art Access For All: A Panel and Conversation for Actionable Strategies and Pathways towards Art World Equity” Panelist. FORUMS. Torrance Art Museum. Torrance, CA.
- 2013 — “Movement and Action in the Production and Distribution of Art Objects.” session co-chair and panelist. Dance Studies Association, Tactical Bodies: Choreography of Non-Dancing Subjects. April 19, 2013 Los Angeles, CA.
Awards, Recognitions, Honors:
- Joan Mitchell Foundation Fellowship, 2012