You are here
Travel In and Out of the US for F-1 Students
Within the US
The IEC strongly recommends all F-1 international students carry the following documents when traveling outside of the Boston area within the U.S.:
- Valid passport
- Printed copy of your current electronic I-94: navigate to "Get Most Recent I-94"
- Most recently issued original I-20 document
- Proof of current student enrollment (Enrollment Verification can be obtained from the Registrar's Office)
- F-1 students on post-completion OPT should carry the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card and an employment letter from the current or prospective employer.
Outside the US
Due to the recent Executive Order, nationals from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen are strongly encouraged to consult with Maggie Shirland prior to departing – or attempting to enter – the United States.
Remember, each time you leave the US, Customs and Border Patrol will determine your eligibility to re-enter when you return. Be prepared and have the following documents with you each time you re-enter:
- Passport with valid F-1 Visa
- Most recently issued original I-20 document showing a valid travel signature
- All previously issued I-20 documents (in case they ask to see them)
- SEVIS fee receipt (showing your paid SEVIS fee
- Proof of financial support (this may include personal or family bank statements, copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter, or a copy of your Declaration of Finance form
- Proof of current student enrollment (Enrollment Verification can be obtained from the Registrar's Office
- F-1 students on post-completion OPT should carry the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card and an employment letter from their current or prospective employer.