You are here
The resources at the Photo Cage are open to current Photo students only (Photo majors and in-session non-major photo class students).
Monday - Thursday: 10:00am - 9:30am
Friday 10:00am - 5:30pm
Sunday: 1:00pm - 5:30pm
Holiday Hours: 2:00pm - 9:30pm
photo digital lab hours
Resources in the Photo Digital Lab are for current Digital for Non-Majors or junior/senior Photo majors only.
Monday - Thursday: 10:00am - 10:00am
Friday: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Sunday: 1:00pm - 6:00pm
MassArt's photography facilities, often referred to as the "cage," occupy the 6th floor of the Kennedy building.
Both the Cage and Digital Lab open approximately 1 week after classes begin and close the last day of undergraduate reviews. Schedule adjusts for holidays and class breaks, please check the Academic Calendar for exact dates.
All labs will be closed for Photography Department Visiting Artist Lectures. Please see the Events Calendar for lecture information.
- Analog black and white developing and printing areas
- Digital imaging and printing
- Alternative (non-silver) processes area with UV exposure unit and coating station
- Negatives up to 8" x 10" can be accommodated in all areas
- 2 black and white gang darkrooms (1 beginner and 1 advanced)
- 2 film-processing areas
- 1 sheet film processing room
- 3 private darkrooms
- Digital Silver Imaging in Belmont, has a pick-up and drop-off service right outside of the photography cage for film processing. Fees vary.
- 30 imaging workstations
- 7 Epson V750 flatbed scanners
- 3 Hasselblad Flextight X1 film scanners
- Epson 7900, P7000, and 4900 inkjet printing stations in our print rooms
- Color correct veiwing booth and lighting
- Magnetic pin up boards
The darkrooms and digital lab are staffed by student monitors, all of whom are photography department majors in the day-school BFA program, and is managed by 2 full-time studio managers.
The labs are open to all enrolled in a MassArt photography class, space is permitted to class priority. You may work in the area (B&W Darkroom or Digital) where your class is held. If you have previously taken courses in the Photo Department and are enrolled in classes at MassArt and wish to use the labs, please contact the studio managers about paying a lab fee.
If you are a current Photo Major in MassArt's undergraduate, graduate, or Post-Bac programs you may reserve equipment on line using our webcheckout interface.
If you are a current junior or senior level Photo major or are enrolled in a Photo Digital for Non-Majors class currently in session, you may use the Photo Digital Labs located on the 6th floor of Kennedy.
email@example.com • 617.879.7488
firstname.lastname@example.org • 617.879.7489