You are here
Adderley Lecture Series
In response to a tragedy, Massachusetts College of Art and Design made a commitment to increasing its recognition of multiple viewpoints and the presentation of artists outside the mainstream.
The suicide of Tyrone Maurice Adderley, a talented and popular painting student, provided a catalyst. In his memory, faculty organized a lecture series to bring artists from underrepresented groups to give an honorary lecture to share their work and wisdom.
In 1995 Lorraine O’Grady gave the inaugural Tyrone Maurice Adderley Lecture. Over the past two decades members of the MassArt community have been privileged to meet and learn from artists, writers, scholars, and activists each year.
These lectures have been consistently excellent but, more importantly, they have transformed MassArt and the profound influences of speakers past still reverberate in the halls and curricula of the school.
Past Adderley Lecturers
- 2018: For Freedoms Town Hall: Freedom of Speech and Public Art - Steve Locke '01, Sabrina Dorsainvil '12, Kate Gilbert, Stephen Hamilton '09, & Sneha Shrestha (aka IMAGINE).
- 2018: Andres Serrano
- 2017: Then, Now, Tomorrow: Change & Racial Equity on Campus & Beyond featuring the 2016 Bostonians of the Year, Kylie Webster-Cazeau and Meggie Noel
- 2017: Dr. Carole Boyce Davies
- 2016: Panel Discussion of The Battle at Versailles featuring Stephen Burrows, fashion designer; model Alva Chinn and Pat Cleveland; Deborah Riley Draper, director; and moderated by MassArt Professor James Mason
- 2016: Zanele Muholi
- 2016: Whitfield Lovell
- 2015: Clennon King
- 2015: Wangechi Mutu
- 2014: Winfred Rembert
- 2013: Alison Saar
- 2012: Dulce Pinzón
- 2011: Cornelius Eady
- 2010: Dr. Robert Farris Thompson
- 2009: Dr. Lowery Stokes Sims
- 2008: Bradley McCallum & Jacqueline Tarry
- 2007: Xenobia Bailey
- 2006 Renée Cox
- 2005: Danny Simmons
- 2004: Amiri Baraka
- 2003: Arthur Jafa
- 2002: Chakaia Booker
- 2001: Willie Birch
- 2000: Richard Mayhew
- 1999: Dr. Sharon Patton
- 1998: Dr. Lorenzo Pace
- 1997: John Scott & Dr. Edmund Barry Gaither
- 1996: Melvin Edwards & Fred Wilson
- 1995: Lorraine O'Grady