You are here
Building Access Policy
The following delineates the proposed building access policy according to the currently published campus hours, 7:00am - 12:00am weekdays and 8:00am - 12:00am weekends.
Public Safety, located on the second floor of the Tower building, is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
|Hours||Tower and South||Kennedy|
|Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 7:00pm||Main doors open||Main doors open|
|Monday - Friday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm||Via public safety only||Main doors open|
|Monday - Friday, 10:00pm - 12:00am||Via public safety only||Via public safety only|
|Monday - Friday, 12:00am - 7:00pm||Restricted access||Restricted access|
|Saturday, 8:00am - 6:00pm||Main doors open||Main doors open|
|Saturday, 6:00pm - 12:00am||Via public safety only||Via public safety only|
|Sunday, 8:00am - 6:00pm||Via public safety only||Main doors open|
|Sunday, 6:00pm - 12:00am||Via public safety only||Via public safety only|
|Saturday/Sunday, 12:00am - 8:00am||Restricted access||Restricted access|
*A note about Library Access: During periods when access is "via public safety only," access to the Library will be granted to members of the extended MassArt community. This includes those with a MassArt ID or an ID card issued by one of our consortium partners.
Restricted Building Access
There will be certain times that access is more restricted. The campus community will find this information on the academic calendar and/or through a campus announcement. The definitions of these restrictions are:
- Closed - the College is fully closed. No access to the campus buildings by anyone at all, except essential employees
- Restricted access - the buildings are only accessible to people with prior authorization. This is the case for most overnights. Prior authorization, for instance, includes graduate students
- 24/7 access - for everyone: staff, faculty, and students
Location of Security Desks
- Design Media Center - Entrance closest to Huntington Ave
- Kennedy - Entrance closest to Huntington Ave
- Tower - Up one flight of stairs from the main entrance on Huntington
- Public Safety Dispatch - The second floor of the Tower Building
MassArt welcomes visitors to our campus. The efforts of everyone on campus; faculty, staff, students, and visitors, are needed to make the College a safe and healthy environment. Visitor is defined as any person who is not employed by, or taking classes at, MassArt. Those individuals who have not been issued a identification badge (ID) by Public Safety.
The general public may visit the following areas on campus without signing in at a Security Desk or Public Safety: Peet's Coffee & Tea, the Dining Commons, the Bookstore. The public is invited to access the Paine/Bakalar Galleries after signing in at the Design and Media Center and the Library after signing in at the Tower Safety Desk. Events open to the public may be planned that utilize additional spaces on campus. These should be registered through the Events Registration Group.
*Attendees of large open events (ie; All School Show, Auction, Big Show, Auditorium performances) will not have to adhere to the Visitor Policy. Public Safety addresses these type of events separately.
All visitors must follow these Guidelines:
- Sign in at one of the three security desks or at Public Safety. The security desks are located in the lobbies of the Design and Media Center, Tower, Kennedy Buildings. Public Safety is located in the Tower Building on the second floor
- When signing in all visitors will be issued a temporary badge which must be worn at all times while on campus
- When leaving the campus all visitors will check out the same security desk, or in public safety, as they entered
- Visitors who do not follow these guidelines may be asked to leave campus
Expectations of Faculty, Staff, and Students
In order for MassArt to be as safe a campus as possible, all community members must contribute to creating this safe environment. Therefore:
- Faculty, staff, and students must wear a valid identification badge (ID) issued by Public Safety at all times
- If your ID is lost or stolen report it to public safety immediately
- Do not prop exterior doors at any time
- Please report suspicious persons or behavior to public safety
- When inviting someone to campus, please send them the Visitor Policy and a campus map
- If you have a visitor on campus you must direct that person to sign in at a security desk or with Public Safety
- When at all possible, offices, faculty, and staff who expect visitors should notify Public Safety at least 24 hours in advance of the visit. Please include, name/date/time/nature of visit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Snow and Other Weather Events
When we are closed due to a snow emergency, or in the event of emergency weather-related closure, the campus is fully closed per our definition above. That is, no one except essential employees will be permitted on campus.