You are here
MFA FINE ARTS 2D
The MFA 2D application and all requirements listed below must be submitted online, with the exception of official transcripts, official translation and evaluation of transcripts, letters of recommendation and English proficiency test scores.
Applications for Fall 2023 will open in September.
- Priority Deadline: January 2
- Rolling Admission Deadline: March 1
$90 Application fee
A one-to-two page statement describing your reasons for applying to MassArt, the MFA 2D program and the planned direction of your future work. Note any recent developments that support your decision to apply.
List professional accomplishments including exhibitions and awards, as well as professional or other activities that convey a sense of your commitment to a life in the arts.
Submit transcripts of all previous college level academic work. Transcripts must be translated into English for review. Students may submit unofficial copies for the application. Admitted students must submit official transcripts in order to enroll. Non-English transcripts will need to be submitted with an approved translation and evaluation.
MassArt alumni and current students must request transcripts by emailing email@example.com. There is no fee for alums applying to MassArt Grad Programs.
Provide email addresses for two referees on the application form. Referees should be familiar with the work in your portfolio, your academics or your professional work ethic. When possible, at least one reference should be from a teacher with whom you have studied.
All Portfolios should be submitted digitally through the application. Please submit work as individual images/videos. Book format is discouraged as it detracts from the artwork.
- Applicants are expected to demonstrate an in-depth commitment to the arts. When reviewing applications, the Admissions Committee looks for personal direction and potential for future growth.
- 20-25 images of reproductions of recent work should be submitted, with captions that include title, medium, dimensions, date, and any other relevant information that you want the admissions committee to be aware of. Cross-disciplinary work that relates to your personal vision and artistic trajectory is encouraged.
- Time-based media: You may submit up to 3 time-based pieces. Clips should be no longer than 3-5 minutes. Consider including any images of installation, site-specific projections, and/or stills as appropriate.
Knowledge of art history and contemporary art is required in all MFA applicants. This requirement can be demonstrated in multiple ways and in some cases, satisfied while enrolled in the program.
Candidates with limited knowledge in art history and contemporary art may be required to complete up to 6 additional credits (2 courses) in art history during or before their MFA program, in courses approved by the graduate department. This determination will be made on an individual basis, based on the student's transcript, statement of purpose, professional experience, and demonstrated knowledge.
Interviews are an important component of the MassArt Graduate Admissions process. After an initial review of applications, select candidates will be invited to interview with faculty.