You are here
For over 20 years, MassArt faculty members have offered international travel courses across disciplines and to destinations all over the globe. The International Education Center supports both faculty and students in these courses, from conception to the flight home. By participating in a travel course, you'll join a group of globally inspired artists and designers led by MassArt faculty experts on a once-in-a-lifetime travel experience.
Special Notice:As with semester abroad, faculty-led travel courses have been suspended due to COVID-19. A strong MassArt tradition, we look forward to offering them again in the future.
- Travel courses are three-credit elective courses open to all majors, including first year students
- Tuition for the 3 credits is included in full-time, undergraduate tuition
- Graduate students, part-time students, and others will pay for the tuition by credit, and can inquire about tuition costs by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- In addition to tuition costs, each course has a program fee that covers the costs of travel, lodging, and all required on-site course-related activities
- Financial Aid awards and/or loans may be applied
- A limited number of partial, travel course scholarships are available for international travel courses. They are need-based and awarded based on students' FAFSA scores. The scholarship application and complete eligibility requirements can be found in the Travel Course online application
- In addition to the travel component, course meetings are held throughout the semester
- If you are considering study abroad, it is critical to get a passport immediately. Visit the U.S. Department of State for instructions
- Visit Studio Abroad for more information and to complete the online application
TRAVEL COURSE SPOTLIGHTS
Laos: A Journey into Culture and Craft Through A Social Enterprise
During January 2020, students experienced the mystical country of Laos through an integrative collaboration with the social enterprise, Ma Té Sai, as they travelled with Jennifer Varekamp, Professor of Fashion Design, to some of the northern villages and worked with artisans on collaborative projects. The course explored the culture of Laos, through the people, the food and the varied landscape from the Mekong River to the Buddhist temples. Students participated in a variety of workshops on traditional handwork and explored the unique atmosphere of the UNESCO World Heritage City, Luang Prabang.
Crossing the Pond: Exploring Communication Design in London and Leeds
The UK is recognized internationally for cutting edge and innovative communication design—Design, Illustration, Advertising, Motion Graphics and Animation. Through this interdisciplinary course, faculty members Scott Bakal, Illustration, and Elizabeth Resnick, Graphic Design, brought a student group to London in March 2019 where they visited the studios of leading designers, illustrators and animators, as well as important art museums. The next stop was Leeds, a lively, stylish, and historic city located in West Yorkshire, England, crammed with top-quality museums and art galleries and a popular location for businesses in the creative industries, especially graphic design, advertising, film and new media. There, MassArt students worked collaboratively with students from Leeds on design projects, learning across disciplines and across cultures to foster greater understanding of different perspectives, to learn new approaches to the same task, and to inform current and future professional practice.
Resources for students from underrepresented backgrounds
- Diversity Abroad: A clearinghouse for information about underrepresented students abroad
- Identities Abroad: A Colleges of the Fenway guide for students who are part of the LGBTQ community
- Mobility International: A disability-led non-profit organization working to advance the rights of people with disabilities globally
- Review steps to travel courses
- For language help, check out Pronunciator in the MassArt Library
- For more information, please email email@example.com.