You are here
Design and Media Center
Designed by Susan T. Rodriguez of New York-based Ennead Architects, the Design and Media Center has become the College's new formal entrance with a three-story glass façade at 621 Huntington Avenue, prominently positioned on Boston’s Avenue of the Arts.
Comprised of 40,000 square feet of new space for the College, the Design and Media Center becomes the front door to the entire MassArt campus, connecting for the first time all of the College’s adjacent buildings and providing full accessibility to campus.
This $40.4 million project marks a major higher education capital project commitment of the Baker-Polito Administration and Massachusetts Division of Capital Asset Management and Maintenance (DCAMM), supporting the creative industries in Massachusetts. Built to meet LEED Silver certification, the Design and Media Center will be a laboratory for interdisciplinary learning as well as a space for community collaboration.
Re-purposed from an underutilized gymnasium in the center of campus, the Design and Media Center was carefully designed to establish a new interdisciplinary, flexible space model that would meet the rapidly evolving standards in art and design education and match contemporary studio practice. New opportunities for collaboration among disciplines and collaboration with corporate partners will advance opportunities for MassArt students and better prepare graduates for roles in the creative economy.
The building's highlights include:
- Grand three-story Atrium that will be the new welcoming entrance to the College
- Connection among the Tower, South, East, and North Buildings, providing easier access to and movement throughout campus buildings
- 130-seat Lecture Hall with a 4K digital projection and sound system
- Fully-equipped Sound Studio
- Modern, fully appointed Wood Shop
- Additional gallery space
- Professional Film Lighting Studio
- Two high-tech Black Box Studios
- Product Development Laboratory
- Project rooms that are multipurpose and can be booked flexibly for meetings, projects, or installations on a temporary