You are here
Studying abroad can be a transformative experience for LGBTQ students. Many students who studied abroad have reported gaining confidence as they explored other LGBTQ+ communities and reflected on their experiences.
- What are gender relations like in your host culture?
- What are the laws and cultural norms surrounding relationships and dating?
- What laws govern the LGBTQ community in your host country?
- What are social and cultural attitudes towards the LGBTQ community?
- What may make the coming out process different in the host country compared to the U.S.?
- Are there any safety considerations to be aware of?
- What is the attitude of the local police towards LGBTQ visitors?
- Are sexual orientations and gender identity openly discussed or more taboo in the host country?
- How LGBTQ-friendly is the host institution?
- What types of housing are available there? Is my program able to make accommodations, including single rooms, private bathrooms and certain roommates?
- Are there LGBTQ friendly establishments and communities near the program facilities?
- Can and will the program staff help you identify them?
- Does the study abroad program discuss LGBTQ considerations during orientation?
- How open do you want/need to be about your sexual orientation while abroad with friends, professors, and host family and program staff?
- If you were to travel to a location where you would need to hide your sexual orientation due to safety concerns in the host country, how would this impact your overall study abroad experience?
- Are there situations where you would not disclose your sexual identity?
- How will you meet other sexual minority students while abroad?
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Transgender Passengers
- Air Travel Tips for Transgender Students Studying Abroad
- Global Gayz
- Diversity Guide to Study Abroad
- Colleges of the Fenway Identities Abroad
We encourage you to make an appointment with MassArt's Study Abroad Advisor to discuss your study abroad plan and any of the topics in this resource guide.