You are here
Legacy of the Cool: A Tribute to Barkley L. Hendricks
Gallery Hours: Monday - Saturday 12:00pm - 6:00pm • Wednesdays 12:00pm - 8:00pm
Free and open to the public
Barkley L. Hendricks
Ekua Holmes ‘77
Steve Locke ‘01
Toyin Ojih Odutola
Curtis Talwst Santiago
Hank Willis Thomas
Keith Morris Washington ‘93
This exhibition is a tribute to artist Barkley L. Hendricks’ legacy and a celebration of new generations of figurative artists of color. Many of these artists work in the same spirit as Hendricks and portray themselves; their friends, families, and communities; and the complexities of their lives in captivating and thought-provoking images. Through varied media and diverse approaches, they chronicle the present moment and their work often questions dominant cultural narratives and addresses important contemporary issues.
Drawing Together: Every Wednesday, January 24 - February 28, 6:00 - 8:00PM
Join us on Wednesday nights for drop-in drawing in the galleries! Facilitated by professional artists, sessions are free and open to the public. Materials provided, no art experience required.
Curated by Darci Hanna.
Learn more about Barkley L. Hendricks and the participating artists.
Image: Ekua Holmes. Sufficient Grace, 2009. Collage on canvas. Courtesy of the artist.
- Boston Globe: Celebrating Barkley L. Hendricks at MassArt
- WBUR's The ARTery: MassArt's Barkley L. Hendricks Tribute 'Legacy Of The Cool' Is Too Hot To Overlook
- Boston Globe: MassArt Tribute to Barkley L. Hendricks Draws a Crowd
- Boston Globe: The Ticket: What’s Happening in the Arts World
- Vice: January 19, 2018 Newsletter
- Bay State Banner: Legacy of the Cool
- Boston Globe: Meeting the Male Gaze and Making it Blink in ‘HARD: Subversive Representation’
- Wonderland: Reinvisioning Black Pride And Identity In The Barkley Hendricks Tribute ‘Legacy Of The Cool’