Skip to main content

FAQs for F-1 International Students

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is following the policy issued in March 2020 through the end of the 2022/23 academic year. ICE also issued a clarifying Frequently Asked Questions for SEVP Stakeholders document, last updated on May 31, 2022. We encourage all F-1 international students to be familiar with both the policy and the FAQ. The International Education Center will communicate with F-1 international students if changes are made to the policy and/or the FAQ.

According to the current guidance, students pursuing studies in the United States for the Fall 2022 semester will be able to continue studying from within the United States if MassArt changes to remote learning. You would also be able to return home to complete the semester remotely, as long as you can travel there safely. As stated in the question/answer on guidance above, should this policy be updated, we will communicate with students about the changes. Please check your MassArt email daily.

Under MassArt’s current plan for college-wide course offerings, it will be difficult to schedule a fully remote schedule and remain in the U.S. legally as an F-1 international student at MassArt.  All students should plan to be in Boston for the Fall 2022 semester. If you are not able to be in Boston, please contact Maggie Shirland,, International Student Advisor,

We ask that you take into account the possibility of travel restrictions or quarantine when entering or transiting through other cities/countries based on their local guidelines for COVID-19. For information on federal and state guidelines for travel during the pandemic, as well as up-to-date information on vaccinations, please visit the following websites. You should know that these sites are likely to be updated on a regular basis, so please continue to check on the protocols for travel up until your date of departure to the United States:

  • The U.S. Department of State Country Specific Travel Information site is searchable by country, and provides comprehensive information on travel, mainly focused on U.S. citizen travel but also including very helpful info on general travel restrictions to and from each country.

  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) maintains a Travel Information website related to COVID-19. Please note that CDC ratings can change rapidly and without warning. It also has a centralized page about International Travel with information specific to non-U.S. citizens.

  • If you travel outside of and return to Massachusetts, whether within the U.S. or internationally, you will also need to keep track of Massachusetts Travel Information.

  • MassArt’s Safety Requirements page provides a wealth of information on our protocols, including testing and tracing information and vaccination status reporting instructions.

Yes. Please check with your specific Embassy or Consulate for their schedule of resuming visa issuance.

If you need a new travel signature (or a replacement I-20 for one that was lost), please Request a Travel Signature as soon as possible. The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) worked together with the Department of State (DOS) and Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) to accept electronically issued and signed I-20s for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency. As of October 12, 2021, the acceptance of electronically signed I-20s became permanent and will remain in place after the pandemic has ended.

Updated 6/22/22